New Ham looking for a patient Elmer?

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by WA0ARM, Mar 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WA0ARM

WA0ARM Ham Member QRZ Page

Greetings, I am a new ham but not totally new to ham radio. My father was a ham for over 40 years so I grew up learning much about this hobby from him. His key went silent in 2002 so I no longer have that source of help.

I obtained my technician license in February. About two weeks ago I purchased a Yaesu FT-857 and ordered in a Buddipole. I am on my second week of working the 40 meter band and am nearing the end of my first page of contacts. I am tuned up and have successfully worked the corners of the country and a faint contact in Venezuela. I have participated in several nets but there is much I have to learn. I am looking for a seasoned Elmer who is willing to patiently field my many questions via person to person email. Most of my questions will be about procedures, definitions, and practices.

Thanks,

Bill
    KD0GPO

2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Bill:

Well, there's no substitute for a genuine in-the-flesh local Elmer, but I'd be glad to give you a few pointers. Also have some interesting experiments you might be interested in.

Eric

3. K0CMH

K0CMH Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Eric:

I will also welcome you to the world of Ham radio. Congrats on your new license.

Just one quick thing, I assume your contacts on 40 meters are CW.

I would recommend simply posting your questions right here, on this exact forum, if you don't find a what you are looking for.

Good luck and hope you do well.

4. WA0ARM

I am operating in voice mode between 7.175 and 7.3Mhz on 40 meter. Just curious, why would you assume CW?

kl7aj, my email address is bill.glynn@westarenergy.com. While some of my questions might be good fodder for this forum it has been my experence that when learning something new it works best for me to learn from a single source. Barrages of diverse opinions on given topics often confuse newbies like me. I will use both!

Here is one of my first. How does one decide on which or how many nets one should join?

Bill

5. N0LW

N0LW Ham Member QRZ Page

With a Technicians Class License, you only have CW privileges on 7.025 - 7.125, and no phone privileges. If you are operating via voice, you are in violation of FFC rules.

Better double check your frequency privileges!!

6. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you Kidding?

Probably since your QRZ data indicates that you are a Technician class. If you have upgraded to General, you should have indicated that in your initial post.

Now for the big question: Are you in fact still a Tech?

If you are then, you know that you were in violation, right? Since you indicated that you operated in the General class portion of forty meters, I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Others will not however...

73 Gary

7. WA0ARM

Oh my goodness! I have been misreading the charts! This is why I am here. I have looked at these charts over and over and assumed the "N" and "T" where assigned to the same range as "G+". After you questioned me I looked at it again to try and understand your perspective and realized how the chart is read. Ok, I am guilty. What do I do now? (Besides stopping until I have my General?)

Attached Files:

8. WA0ARM

Elmer??

While I have made a significant error I assure everyone it was not intentional. I will apologize to anyone I need to and turn myself in to the proper authorities if that is what I need to do.

In my first post I mentioned that I was looking for a single Elmer and this thread is an example of why. Several people on this forum pounced within minutes to tell me how badly I screwed up but after asking what I should do next there has been silence for over a half an hour. I am looking forward to working with KL7AJ and becoming a solid contributing member of this wonderful hobby.

Bill

9. K3SFX

K3SFX Ham Member QRZ Page

stupid comment removed

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  10. N0LW

N0LW Ham Member QRZ Page

Bill,

I don’t think that anyone meant to pounce on you, some of us were just in shock.

If you are going to operate via phone/voice with a Technicians License, you must stay on 10 meters (SSB) or higher frequencies. Usually new hams get their feet wet via the 2 meter or 70 cm bands.

You must stop transmitting on all frequencies that you do not have privileges for. Learn your frequency allocations!

I hope this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.