ad: HamInsurance-1

New Guy Thread (again)

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KJ7ZEI, Jan 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KJ7ZEI

KJ7ZEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks K7mem! Early on in my journey I planned to take all 3 tests at the same time. But as I took the practice tests I realized with extra all I was doing was memorizing. A lot of the information/concepts with extra is very technical. Wanting to learn and understand what I was testing for was going to take more time than I thought I had before testing. Being in my career field for almost 34 years and working with and on VHF/HF Comm and Nav systems, I figured I knew a fair amount, but just getting through tech/general I was humbled. So I'm going to learn as I study for extra.

You're also right about getting on the air and learning while talking with others. Kind of why I set up my ham shack before I tested. I learned to operate my radios while doing RX. Even though my Icom 718 is about as basic as an HF rig gets it was still a learning experience . Plus it was exciting to listen to folks transmitting from half way around the world as if they were across town.

2. KC5AKB

KC5AKB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Congratulations

KJ7ZEI likes this.
  3. KJ7ZEI

KJ7ZEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I have. A CALL SIGN! (insert mad scientist laughter here) Muhawhahahahaha!

KY4GD likes this.