ad: elecraft

New Guy Thread (again)

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KJ7ZEI, Jan 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. KJ7ZEI

KJ7ZEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks K7MEM! Pretty sure I was seeing double by the time I made that post. I took practice tests ALL day. Sorry about the "grousing". I have never been the type to get perfect scores on tests. The exception being computer based training where I work. The format has changed over the years (25) but the information is the same. I "feel" smart testing for engine run, dangerous goods shipping, aircraft de-ice, etc.

The Gordon West book series are great in my humble opinion.

I'll run through a couple practice tests while I drink my a.m. coffee. Then off to the exam! I can hardly wait for the license info to show up on the database so I can transmit!

KC5AKB likes this.
  2. KJ7ZEI

Here I go..........................................

3. KJ7ZEI

I PASSED TECH AND GENERAL!!!

A personal milestone not possible 37 months ago. Being sober has "opened" the door to life and much awesomeness like amateur radio.

KC5AKB and KY4GD like this.
  4. N0NC

N0NC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Congratulations, Good job.
    Upon reading the thread again, I see you are also a covid survivor, I had it way back in March 0f 2020, I was an early adopter. Way to go.

73, Chuck
    N0NC

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    KJ7ZEI likes this.
  5. KJ7ZEI

Can't keep a good man down Chuck. Or something like that. Thank you.

Now I feel like I can "say" it: 73

6. KY4GD

KY4GD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nah, coffee, or maybe a nootropic stack containing a 'racetam, alphaGPC and something like sulbutiamine, or if you *really* need to get those TPS reports in on time, armodafinil, but ginko biloba is not likely to help.

Congratulations on your win! Passing can feel almost anticlimactic, right?

KJ7ZEI likes this.
  7. KJ7ZEI

Thanks! Yes it can a bit, how did you know? ;) Guess I should start studying for extra.....

8. KY4GD

KY4GD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Do it while the mood is fresh, it goes down easier. The biggest plus, IMHO, is the feeling that the matter is "settled". I have a personal distaste for loose ends, and having an easily obtainable notch left to climb would drive me into an OCD fit.

You have the important part already done though, extra is just a cherry on top. :)

KJ7ZEI likes this.
  9. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations!!

The next goal would be the Extra, but don't over study for it. It's not something to get stressed over. Take some of the sample tests and see where you are lacking. Research the problem areas and then move on. You get a lot of privilege's and band space with a General. A Extra doesn't add much, in that respect, but it is always the final goal. I have never used the Gordon West books but, from all accounts, they are a good source or knowledge. I saw Gordon West at a ham fest a few years ago. Seems to be a nice guy.

In the meantime, turn your attention to getting on the air. You can learn a lot from talking to other hams.

KJ7ZEI likes this.
  10. KJ7ZEI

We must be related.

KY4GD likes this.