New Guy Thread (again)

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KJ7ZEI, Jan 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
  1. KJ7ZEI

KJ7ZEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello all. Currently studying for Tech/General. Due to Covid-19, testing in my area is limited. But I do have a spot reserved for May 1st.

It has been a desire of mine for some time to be a licensed Amateur Radio Operator. Life is now permitting me time and money (some) to participate.

Several years ago I bought a used HTX-202 (listened, never xmttd). Recently dusted it off and listened with my kids. I've been utilizing this sites practice exams. I bought the books by Gordon West (recommended by the local electronics store). Great format.

I do have a neighbor that we have conversed at length, off and on for years, about Amateur radio. We've been talking quite a bit lately.

My goal (ultimately) has been for years to establish QSL's or DXing. Many years ago I worked/travelled to many places throughout the world. I would like to once again "visit" those places.

After much research I decided on a Icom IC-718 transceiver. It seems to be simple and capable enough for a new guy.

Thanks for the site!

PU2OZT and N0TZU like this.
  2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

3. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Welcome, and best of luck!

4. KJ7ZEI

Thanks all!

Antenna tuner (Icom AH4) is on backorder. Did not see that on HRO. As "out of stock" items are for ordering right now hopefully it shows up before May. Must be a lot of interest in amateur radio these days.

PU2OZT likes this.
  5. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Plus a world-wide pandemic that is adversely impacting supply chains at all levels. :(

Welcome aboard!

Regards,
    -Bruce

PU2OZT likes this.
  6. KJ7ZEI

Thanks Bruce! I imagine a lot of electronic components are made in china and I've seen mention that there is a backlog on components. For things like flat screen tv's.

I found it strange that several radios manufactured by Yaesu and Kenwood have been discontinued without an apparent upgraded model. I wonder if that has played a part.

Reading up on HF antennas this evening. I have a flat 1 acre lot with a few trees that top out at 40-50 feet. Looking into whether it is feasible or not to make my own antennas.

Thanks all

7. N0TZU

It’s absolutely feasible to make your own antennas! A dipole antenna is very easy, and all it takes is some wire and a few other bits. With the trees, you already have good supports available if you choose to use them. A purchased antenna would likely still require you to provide supports (except ready to assemble vertical antennas).

Many hams find antenna experimentation to be an enjoyable, rewarding, and fairly inexpensive part of the hobby. Plus, the antenna is arguably the most important part of the station.

The ARRL Antenna Book is an excellent book to have.

PU2OZT likes this.
  8. KJ7ZEI

Thanks Bob!

9. N0TZU

Of course.

Keep in mind that there are the perfect ways to do things, including antennas, and then there is the slap it together way. With antennas at modest power levels of 100 W and less, you can get a a lot out of that method and be on the air with relatively little cost and effort. As you go along you can refine, which is how many of us got to where we are now over the years.

Or, if it suits you better, study up and make an impeccable first antenna. Or buy one. The point is to have fun and learn as you go.

10. KJ7ZEI

An "impeccable first antenna"? I mean this with humor at my expense; I chuckled. I have NEVER built a "first" anything that even remotely resembled "impeccable". But I have tried. Oh lord, I have tried. The only thing impeccable are my kids and I didn't "try" to make them.:p

I'm not afraid of trying. I am looking forward to learning something new. I'm not gifted at anything. I usually earn my successes.

W7UUU and N0TZU like this.