New guy from Norther Virginia

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KM4TIN, Apr 21, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KM4TIN

KM4TIN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Just got my Tech ticket in April. I've had a lifelong passing interest in Ham Radio and I finally did something about it. I'm interested in getting started with 2 meter and 70cm FM on local repeaters. I currently have a Baofeng HT and am expecting delivery of a Yeasu 857D very soon. I am preparing to take the General exam (and possibly Extra) this coming June.

73s
    Jon KM4TIN

KG5EXW and N6QIC like this.
  2. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Welcome Aboard!

N6QIC and KM4TIN like this.
  3. KB3VWG

KB3VWG Ham Member QRZ Page

Welcome, hopefully I'll catch you in the air in the area!!!

KB3VWG

4. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It sounds like you're on the right track! Welcome...

5. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello, Jon
    Congratulations on getting your new license, and welcome to Ham Radio and QRZ..

KM4TIN likes this.
  6. KM4OBL

KM4OBL Ham Member QRZ Page

Greetings, Jon! I'm also in northern VA. Hope to catch you on 20 meters via psk31 after you upgrade. In the meantime, if you are in the Alexandria area, check out the Thursday evening 2-meter net of the Alexandria Radio Club.

KM4TIN likes this.
  7. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

Jon,

I was looking at your profile. I didn't see a lot of postings. I hope you haven't gotten discouraged.

There are an incredible number of wonderful hams near you in Fairfax County, Fairfax City, Alexandria, Arlington, Loudoun, Prince William, and Fauquier counties on the Virginia side -- and certainly to the counties west of you, like Clark, Frederick, Warren, etc. Just across the river in Maryland, there are many wonderful close-by hams ranging from inside the beltway to Cumberland. That is not to say there aren't good hams elsewhere in Virginia, Maryland, DC, and West Virginia. But those areas are really close by and filled with great people.

I'm outside the metro-DC area, about 15 miles west of Winchester, and located in West Virginia.

Some of the metro-DC two meter repeaters can be a little discouraging, whether you are a new comer or an old grey-beard like me.

If you have been able to get your general, please look at the HF bands for lots of fun. You can operate digital, voice, and much more. If you need a good HF rig, visit some of the clubs, especially in Fairfax county.

Even though you might be a new comer, don't be afraid to go to the next Quarter Century Wireless Association (QWCA) Chapter 91 meeting. Introduce yourself as a newbie and you would like to meet some friendly and experienced amateur radio operators. If anybody asks any more questions, just kindly ask for the 2016 Secretary, Lee G. Tell him his old friend "Ken from WV sent you." I expect you will be welcomed in like a long lost cousin who just inherited the family fortune. More than that, I expect you will find several willing to help you with everything from loans of equipment to helping with antennas.

Ken
    K8KJG
    High View, WV

KM4TIN likes this.
  8. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Study up and take your test at the Berryville Hamfest next month.

Sunday, August 7

http://www.shenvalarc.org/hamfest

Active clubs in Alexandria,Vienna, Sterling, etc. Visit one (or several as I did).

KM4TIN likes this.
  9. KB5QA

KB5QA Ham Member QRZ Page

Check out the Red Cross building at the foot of Duke st in Alexandria Friday night once a month. W4HFH club. I used to be president back in the early 60s when I was WA4GGZ. Always had fun there. Nice guys from all over the area. Fairfax also has a good club. Good luck to you......73

KM4TIN likes this.
  10. K4RT

K4RT Ham Member QRZ Page

Jon,

Congratulations on getting licensed. When you're ready I believe the Mt. Vernon club offers monthly exams.

HF is fun and you can do a lot with simple wire antenna. Good luck!

Brad K4RT

KM4TIN likes this.