New General Today

Discussion in 'Becoming a Ham - Q&A' started by W5AKK, Dec 16, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
  1. W5AKK

W5AKK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just got into ham radio this past summer and am really enjoying learning from everyone here and the books I'm reading. I also get a kick out of hearing folks from all over the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. I haven't heard anyone from overseas yet. I took my Technician's exam and passed Aug. 7th. I was wanting to upgrade to be able to use more of the frequencies. So I studied and listened and learned some more and today I took and passed my General exam! The ARRL License Manual series are a fantastic resource for learning as well as a quick reference guide, along with a number of other books they carry. I know there is still a world of things to learn but I was surprised that I've taken in enough information that I could probably pass the Extra exam if I took it today as well based on the results of the practice exams I've taken. I may go ahead and take the Extra exam soon but today, I am going to pat myself on the back and feel good about this accomplishment for a little while. :cool:

KO4ESA, K8PG, W9AFB and 4 others like this.
  2. NG0L

NG0L Subscriber QRZ Page

KO4ESA and W5AKK like this.
  3. KC3RAA

KC3RAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Congratulations!! I'm wanting to take my General, but I feel I need a little more "on the air" experience first. What gear do you have, or plan to have, to take advantage of those new bands? I have some big ideas but the bank account and wife feel differently lol

KO4ESA and W5AKK like this.
  4. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

nothing changed my life like ham radio...it never leaves. even without operating i think radio daily,never miss.
    always 'messing"with something related.,

adding remote lock to my old mustang...
    tinkering with rf id, its so cheap !...
    tuning am bcst at 3 am...
    tempting myself to buy just one more xxxx...
    trying to find the right place for a roof hole in my jeep...missed twice !!
    btw, i find that a mfj998rt with cover off "inside" is a fun way to learn about tuners...
    need to add bias to my gg amp. someday...

so just string up a wire and get on the air, dont worry about the next step, it will come...

if you need parts for something i may be able to help...free of course..

W5AKK and K8PG like this.
  5. K8PG

K8PG QRZ Lifetime Member #333 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Very nice.
    Excellent.
    Now the learning begins.
    GL/73’s
    Paul K8PG

W5AKK likes this.
  6. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yay and confabulations!

W5AKK likes this.
  7. W5AKK

I understand, when you start adding things here and there it begins to add up quickly haha All I'm running right now is a Kenwood TS-830s on an end-fed dipole about 25 feet up in the air and use an MFJ-267 to help tune up. Fortunately I believe I'm on the highest point in the county so I think that may help. I added the VFO-230 and SP-23o. The filters in the speaker really do help with the background noise and I really like the memory functions of the vfo.

K8PG likes this.
  8. W5AKK

I appreciate the offer! It's fun getting my feet wet. It seems to be becoming an obsession almost. Like you, I find that I'm either on the radio, thinking about the radio or something associated with radio or I'm reading and researching various topics to try to increase my knowledge and understanding of this amazing lifestyle.

W9WQA likes this.