New General Requirement Musings

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by N2EYE, Jan 18, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. N2EYE

N2EYE Ham Member QRZ Page

Got my Novice in the early '80's with 5wpm code and Tech written exam only a decade later. My father had difficulty passing the code element of General but eventually did. I knew 13 wpm was impossible for me although I could not understand why, could never dance either but it's not important. I stepped away from Amateur Radio for a long time as 10 meters was not enough to keep my interest. Not until after Father passed did our family learn of a genetic disorder that affects our dexterity, muscle control and balance.

It's encouraging that code was eliminated. I realize no one could have predicted the affects of the Internet on Amateur Radio but the HF bands are so quiet from what I recall decades ago. It's tempting to posit: 'That's what you get for requiring 13 wpm, a dying hobby and the niche market that went with it' My first General practice test score (2 weeks ago) was far higher than it would have been 30 years ago. OK, I'll have my General soon it seems. I don't know if the current Rules and Regs would make Dad happy or not. Where have all the Elmers gone?
    n2eye

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

1. Nice troll.

2. The hobby isn't dying.
    3. In case you haven't noticed society has changed in the last 40 years. People have vastly more outlets for activities and entertainment. They have instantaneous inexpensive worldwide communications in their hand. Ham radio has vastly more modes, bands, equipment, that spread activity resulting in less apparent activity on any given band/mode. Morse testing has had nothing to do with any apparent/imagined decrease in activity over the years.

N2EY and AF7XT like this.
  3. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Since we are musing...

I don't think I ever heard the excuse, "I can't dance, ergo, I can't do Morse Code". Did that ever work with anyone? I can't dance either, but I never made that connection. :rolleyes:

For years I used the excuse that I was Dyslexic and see things backwards. So how could I possibly learn Morse Code well enough to pass the tests. Well, as it turns out, I really am Dyslexic, but Dyslexics do not see things backwards. That is a total myth. They simply perceive things differently. Once you realize and understand your disability, you change it into an ability. Don't let it drag you down and don't blame it on your ancestors. I'll bet that they found a way to overcome their problems.

Somewhere in the 80's, I figured out that I was learning incorrectly. At least, it was incorrect for me. But, things were busy at work for many years. You know how it is, life happens. But in 1998 got the upgrade bug and started getting ready. In January 1999, I sat for the Technician and General written tests, and the 13 WPM Morse test, in a single VE session. I walked out a General. Two months later, I did the same thing, with the Advanced and Extra written tests, and the 20 WPM tests, in a single VE session. I walked out an Extra.

Keep going with the practice tests. I used the same method for the written tests. When I was regularly scoring over 90 percent, I went for the tests. My Morse ability just happened to coincide. You should probably also try the Extra practice exams. It is very common for prospective hams to take all three tests in a single session. They walk in with nothing and walk out an Extra. After you pass the General exam, take the Extra exam, even if you don't think you are ready. If you pass, great. If you don't, well, there is always a next time. If you take a practice test every two or three days, you will be ready in no time.

Good luck on your studying.

Oh yea, ham radio is not dying. It is just growing in a way that you might not recognize.

N2EY likes this.
  4. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

Easily given to temptation I see.
    Having to send the code went out in the 70's , dexterity, muscle control and balance have nothing to do with hearing , comprehension, cognition and understanding.
    13 wpm went out with medical waivers first and then all together 23 Feb 2007 .
    In the past four years I have personally signed over 300 605's for initial license or upgrade. All of these licensees have my call sign , most have or can find my email, some have my phone number.
    It's never been a hobby for me. It's a service I perform "TO ADVANCE THE ART , SCIENCE , AND ENJOYMENT OF AMATEUR RADIO"

Let me be clear on one more thing. I am sincerely grateful to the A.R.R.L. for processing my volunteer examiner application. I am not now and I never shall be part of any organization that does not wholly and completely represent my views and remains answerable to my input. I have not ever , am not now, will never be an A.R.R.L. member.

I didn't wait 45 years to apply all that I've learned just so I can hear my license is worthless because amateur radio is dying.
    I don't spend hours with fellow hams just to hear
    I know it wasn't directed at me personally but frankly I find insulting.

In your case I'd be just as happy to process a cancellation as an upgrade. You can even have my phone number so I can demean , denigrate and humiliate you while tirelessly and humorously taking on the problem at hand.

In short , lead , follow , or get out of the way .