New General looking into QRP

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by W8MJL, Mar 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You know the radio you have has lots going for it. I was just reading about it. Mic compressior, DSP, Notch control. You dont have to be in any hurry for a new radio, if at all. Many folks have taken much larger radios with way more drain than that to the field.

Look at one of these batteries it is the one I have. It blows all the other batteries I have ever owned for radio away. They are half the weight of the SLA battery.

https://www.bioennopower.com/collec.../products/12v-12ah-lfp-battery-abs-blf-1212ab

2. N8DAH

N8DAH Ham Member QRZ Page

I would look into a mcHF v6. I have had a kx2, sdrs and many other rigs even bitx. The mcHF for the money is a lot of bang. You can run CW, digi and ssb very easy. It has a great display with a ton of features. For what you pay for a elecraft you are honestly not getting a lot.
    You can find them built on the mcHF yahoo group and sometimes on qrz. The FT-817 is also a tried and true rig.

If you go looking for a mcHF DO NOT get a clone they are trash.
    GL
    DAVID
    N8DAH

W8MJL likes this.
  3. W8MJL

W8MJL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've never really looked deep into these batteries due to the higher cost. But i did look into them today and i think the reduced weight and better discharge rate out weight the cost. All included i'm looking at $340 for everything to get me portable (ish); battery, charge controller and solar panel. Add in a Apache case from harbor freight and i should be upwardly mobile, and i'm currently getting things together to build a portable mag loop is icing on the cake.

73 de W8MJL
    Michael

4. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

cool... make sure and get their charger too. Call them they are hams that work there.

5. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

6. N4DJC

N4DJC Ham Member QRZ Page

I lived in an apartment the first ten years after I got my license, so fully understand the issues.

My favorite QRP rigs were the Ten Tec Argonaut 505 or 509, loved the full break in on CW. After trying all forms of indoor and stealth antennas, I found it more productive to just go to the club house and set up my rig on the Club's tri-bander, I never saw another person using the station the entire time I was a member. I got some rarer stations on CW with the QRP after the call. The cycles were hot in those days, 15 was wide open.

7. UT0UM

UT0UM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

I managed to integrate an automatic antenna tuner into mcHF SDR transceiver
    Details you can find at www.mcHF.at
    [​IMG]

8. N8TGQ

N8TGQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Use your present rig from your car to start with. QRP is a different animal and I know many people that were dissappointed.
    Crank down the power and concentrate on antennas.
    Then I would look at the ubitx radio for an inexpensive start to QRP SSB. It will also do digital and CW. You have to do some soldering and come up with a case but you'll get a lot of knowledge and have an all band HF rig for less than 200 bucks.

Have fun!
    Rick N8TGQ

9. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Life's too short for QRP, Put some fire on the wire....:D
    (On the other hand, the latest whiz bang ft-818 and a Yo-Yo antenna might be fun)
    If your into bicycling, one of those tire powered generators....

10. W4POT

W4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I started my QRP ops with a FT817ND. I liked it for SSB contacts and the SOTAbeams mic compressor helped but it because more difficult as sunspots became more rare. I was using a paper notepad for logging.
    I bought a Bioenno battery and started setting up my IC-7100 in the field. I had the option of using QRO power for SSB and could also run less power and digital modes with the notebook PC I starting bringing.
    Now I'm using a Flex-1500 and my notebook PC for mostly digital mode QRP operations.

Almost every place I operate QRP is located a very short walk from a parking lot and is on a picnic table under a shelter. This is an accommodation for the mostly older operators that I meet from my area. Carrying a LiFePO battery box, a notebook computer, and the radio and antenna stuff isn't that big of a deal. My setup is NOT optimized for ultra light weight and low item count like that of someone doing SOTA activations.