New General interested in Extra. Suggestions for online study?

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KK4ZYF, Mar 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KK4ZYF

KK4ZYF Ham Member QRZ Page

Saturday I took the tech and general exams and passed both. I had been studying the flash cards for both on hamstudy.org for a couple of weeks before the tests. The explanation portion of the cards was an excellent resource so I actually understood what I was studying and not just memorizing answers. If anyone reading this is wanting to enter the hobby or a tech looking to upgrade to general I highly recommend taking a look at that site.

After I passed the general the VECs talked me into taking the extra exam. I had not prepared at all for the extra exam. I had not seen the questions or reviewed any of the rules/formulas/theory but I figured why not. I have a background in electronics and had been very interested in radio when I was younger. I was surprised when I failed the extra exam by only a couple of questions. I was surprised how well I did, not that I failed.

This has sparked my interest in maybe taking the extra exam again. I went back to hamstudy.org to go the extra class flashcards and found out most of them lack the explanations that made the other 2 levels so educational.

Can someone suggest a similar online resource that will help me learn the basics needed to pass the extra? I am looking for something that sticks to the basics without going overboard that isn't just there to help memorize test answers.

Thanks

Bob

2. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd recomend the 'No Nonsense' Guide from KB6NU - http://www.kb6nu.com/tech-manual/ He charges for the Extra study guide (unlike the General and Tech), $8, but his way of explaining the material on the tests is excellent. I'm less familiar with the ARRL's Extra Class LIcense Manual, but that would be my 'base' for learning. It would also be good to have some supplemental information available, like the ARRL Handbook, so you can look up and read more about topics you encounter. The web is also a great source of info, just try to sort the wheat from the chaff.

3. AA8TA

AA8TA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The ARRL Extra Class License Manual includes software that simulates the actual exam that you'll be taking. You can also take a test that covers all 700 (I think that is the number) of questions in the question pool with immediate feedback and explanations of the answers. The book itself goes into a lot of depth over all the various topics. If you get this book, you could start out with some of the exams and see where you weaknesses are and target those.

I used this book and got a 100% on the actual exam so I would recommend it. It also makes for a good reference. The practice tests on this site are also helpful; I took several of those besides the ones in the ARRL book.

Good luck. With some preparation you should do fine.

4. AE2K

AE2K Ham Member QRZ Page

Bob,

Check out Hamtestonline. You are guaranteed to learn and pass the exam. Read their reviews on eham.net.

Good luck

Eric N2MVV

5. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

perhaps your flashcards can tell you the difference between a VEC and a VE,........... jus sayin

6. K5RCD

K5RCD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The same flashcards you use to tell yourself to capitalize the first letter of a sentence? Why take such a cheap shot at someone asking a serious question, trying to learn something?

I agree with N2MVV about Ham Test on Line. http://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/
    As a VE, I've been seeing a very high success rate with folks using this. They learn the material too, not just trying to memorize the Q & As.

7. KG7IXT

KG7IXT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There's six sites on line I used, and didn't have to spend the money for any of the ARRL books.

AA9PW.com, HamExam.org, eham.net, Ham test Online, Ham Study.org, and of course the practice exams found on this site.

8. RUNNYNOZE

RUNNYNOZE QRZ Member

Check out Eli the Ice Man. He will help.

9. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

[QUOTEThe same flashcards you use to tell yourself to capitalize the first letter of a sentence? Why take such a cheap shot at someone asking a serious question, trying to learn something?

][/QUOTE]

on some other forums i get flak for not using much punctuation.
    my response is that i dont use any when i talk to you!! you just find the CAPS where you can...

now about the extra test. im pretty good in elrctronics, been in it all my life.
    initially i was baffled by some of the xtra stuff,(and still am), the j factor,,/so as i kept taking the free tests i realized i was not memorizing all of it, i was actually learning about stuff i never used b4.
    i passed first time thru and in short order forgot a lot of what i learned. so my advice to all is just keep taking the tests!
    i have a lot of fun doing what i like, building stuff and i can live without or work around some stuff.
    i get into a lot of things in life and done fesire to be a "pro" at any one thing.
    yeah , i can do a good job ragchewing on a lot of stuff!!
    nuff said

10. KX3A

KX3A Ham Member QRZ Page

Another vote for hamtestonline.com.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.