New FT8 Software - AutoFT8

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Nov 9, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. WM8Q

WM8Q Ham Member QRZ Page

How true. "Highly resistant", but not immune to QRM.

What's the answer? You can't see-and-avoid what you can't decode.

Look at web SDRs constantly?

2. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

RR on JT65A @ 48 sec sequences.. There was a big issue about using the "Call3 Text" file for improved confidence decoding about 12 yrs ago when running JT65B on 50/144 MHz EME etc.. . Ref the rules and regs for Region2 >> Google & read the controversy over Jose Ros' - "ROS" mode..Whew! That one took a few years to sort out for US operators.. And then there is "Opera" See pic below... 73

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
  3. N3RYB

N3RYB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sometimes I do check websdr's to make sure I'm not transmitting over top unheard stations if I'm trying to work a DX station and it seems like my efforts are failing. Sometimes, though I'll just try a different spot. No good one answer to it though.

4. W4JDY

W4JDY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

FT8 is already boring and not something to talk with others ... it is simply point and click, and with no redeeming technical knowledge or operational experience. WinLink is promising.

KE0GXN likes this.
  5. AB8SF

AB8SF Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe I missed something as I did not read all 20 pages. If I read Part 97 correctly, automatic operation is not permitted on most of the FT8 frequencies. If I have this wrong, please enlighten me.

KE0GXN likes this.
  6. N3RYB

You are correct.

7. N3RYB

59 and good luck in the contest! That's half of the SSB QSOs I hear...also boring. Most guys on phone are boring...

K4SAX and WD4ELG like this.
  8. KI5CAW

KI5CAW Ham Member QRZ Page

Auto FT8? What, you don't even need to turn on the rig?

9. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

And the other half of SSB conversations are interesting conversations, something FT8 never has or ever will. I have had some great conversations with people a state over from me, with operators in Kuwait, Germany, Iceland, Japan, Slovakia, Sweden, Australia, New Zealand, S. Cook Is, Martinique, and a host of other operators from around the world. Plenty of ragchews that went past gear, weather, and signal strength. And there is nothing wrong with stations that discuss gear and such.
    If you enjoy computer beeps and checking off contacts for the sake of checking off a box, have at it.
    Every OTA ssb contact I've made had a voice on the other side. Maybe it was a struggle to pull it out of the mud and a whlsper, but it was a voice putting in effort to talk to me! The same goes for CW. I'm no conversationalist in CW but I know quite a few who love to ragchew slapping a key. Talking to people like Art Bell is a hoot, something that couldn't be in a computer beep. Even just the phrase of "thank you for the contact " is a joy for me.

KE0GXN and WD4ELG like this.
  10. N3RYB

It's annoying when people call things you enjoy "boring" isn't it? :)