New ft3dr reception problem

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KO4JJP, Nov 21, 2020.

ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
  1. KO4JJP

KO4JJP Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a brand new yaesu ft3dr. If I plug in the ac power (supplied ac charger) or the DC charger in the truck the radio signal just either disappears completely or gets really,really statically noisy where you can't understand anyone or anything. Unplug it and it goes back to listening fine and clear. Anyone else have this problem or does this sound like a defective radio.

2. K7RJB

K7RJB Ham Member QRZ Page

My FT2D will not run on the charger, receive power draw is more than the charger output or something interrupts charging when the radio is on.

My point is Yaesu it seems does not want you to run the radio off the charger. Which is lame and pretty much ruins/limits the emergency use of this radio.

Yaesu would probably prefer/insist that you bought a handful of batteries to keep their junk on the air.

3. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like a noisy power supply, not a defective radio.

Did you change the antenna from stock? Put the original back on and work from there to resolve noise issues.

4. KO4JJP

My thoughts exactly. I May have to get a base station also.. But so far the ft's charge has lasted all day the way I use it so I'm getting use to it.

5. KO4JJP

Upgraded the antenna to a nagoya 771 much better reception from the stock while using the HT. But didn't effect the the charging part. Both my car charger and ac charger do it. It's not really even noise it's a complete loss of reception. Scan without charging I pick up all kinds of stations. Put the charger in and out passes those same stations right up or completely distorts v them.. It just doesn't seem to be made to be charged while in use

6. W1NB

W1NB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Likely that the chargers have current limiting in them to help prolong the battery pack. That limiting is probably a lower threshold than what's needed to operate the radio.

7. KO4JJP

That makes sense cause my car charger throws more volts to it and does a little better. The stock ac charger is about 10v while charging and my car is 12.3. So it is definitely is affected by the volts applied

8. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I run the FT2D on 13.8v with a cable I made myself (you can overpay for one from Yaesu if you like). This works well, and allows me to TX on a full 5w. The most important part for usage while plugged in is to remove the battery. Not only does that eliminate the charging noise, but will greatly prolong the life of your battery. Keeping a Li-ion battery at 100% significantly shortens the number of charge cycles it can handle.

I have a 'battery replacement' for different radio. To use it, you remove the battery and replace it with this device which is the same size and shape; but it has a power cord coming out of it. I've never seen one for the FT2D/FT3D, but it may exist.

9. KC9ONY

KC9ONY Ham Member QRZ Page