New forum for the Magic Band and above.

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by K6BBC, Aug 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K6BBC

K6BBC Senior Moderator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

After many years as a ham, last year I finally discovered 6 meters. What a fun band! Waiting for those openings and catching them and working stations thousands of miles away brought back that old thrill I was seeking. A couple of days ago I worked my first DX - two stations in Canada.

Two weeks ago I finally got a 2 meter beam up and now I'm exploring that world. The other night I heard, but sadly did not work, a station near Las Vegas. He was about 280 miles from my location. Cool indeed!

I asked Fred to open this forum to help others connect who explore the world above 50 - especially those who love point to point contact. Perhaps more hams will find an interest in the thrill and challenge of VHF point to point communication.

Tony, K6BBC

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Thanks Tony & Fred!

I too just got into 6m and 2m - hoping today to have the 5-elements on 6 (CW/SSB)
    and the 9 elements on 2m (also CW/SSB) on the air for the first time. I first worked
    both bands in "horizontal modes" just this past June during the VHF contest. With
    my new antennas at 50 feet each, with 100 watts on 6 and 160 on 2 I hope to work
    a lot of stations in the upcoming September contest.

Dave
    W7UUU

3. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sweet my favorite bands! Hope to have a 9 ele 2m beam up in Sept. Still working on a 6m beam. Have loops up right now and with a deaf FT-897d they don't cut it.

4. KF6A

KF6A Ham Member QRZ Page

This season hasn't been very good, at least in my area of the country, even though I picked up a few new 6m grids and finally experienced a 2m sporadic-E opening. Still fun though! Looking forward to this weekend when the CME arrives from the X-flare and hope to work some aurora on 6m and especially 2m since I only recently got my 2m yagi back up.

5. G0DNQ

G0DNQ Ham Member QRZ Page

hello Tony, I my self are just starting on 6Mtrs and intend to work static mobile erecting a tripod and putting up a vertical and small 3 element beam but have not got myself sorted yet, I myself have had to down size my gear to vhf through lack of room and garden space is a no no, good luck Tony from Colin G0DNQ

6. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

6 meters from the east coast was a blast this summer, I worked several countries in Europe, South & Central America. If you do CW try between 50.090 & 50.100 during openings. Lots of CW activity and usually easier to make contacts. There has been openings almost everyday in the evening this week but haven't seen many west coast openings lately.

7. N2SLO

N2SLO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree- I had a couple of intense 6M openings one around July 6 I believe and worked a pileup for over three hours from Long Island. The opening started to the Midwest (Ohio, Michigan, Illinois), then widened to the Southeast. 100+ stations, what a hoot. Quiet until next April-May...

8. WA8UEG

Nice short opening this morning (Saturday) worked CT1 SSb & EA4 on CW.

9. WA8UEG

Again today, to the midwest. IN, KS, IA, IL. Not much on SSB being heard but CW was wide open with folks.

10. WA9WVX

WA9WVX Ham Member QRZ Page

I thinking some of the OT's are using JT-65 for there contacts and some are chasing Grid Squares. Where were you guys in the late 1970s & 1980s when the band opened to S.E. Asia? I haven't been active on 6 m since 1985 but it was always an interesting band. I mostly watch this website for DX contacts in real time http://www.dxmaps.com/spots/map.php?Lan=E&Frec=50&ML=M&Map=NA&DXC=N&HF=N&GL=N looks like it's open to S.E. Asia right now. Most of the OT's including myself used the low VHF TV Channels 2, 3 & 4 for the MUF moving up in Frequency although today with Digital TV it would be difficult to use this method in the United States. Working bona fide DX into South America and Japan is a blast. Perhaps I'll dig out the 6 m beam and install it on the tower.

Good 6 m DXing,

Dan
    WA9WVX

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.