ad: MLSons-1

New FCC RF Safety rules come into effect on May 3 - what you need to know

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N2RJ, Apr 27, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

We all have wants and needs. However, your comment has no relevance to the thread--which is about RF exposure compliance for PART 97.

Part 97 hams are not asked to measure field strengths to 'ensure compliance'.

2. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Just take a look at the german software Wattwächter. Here you are able to calculate the loss in cause of the cable you use. There is much more than you can see now in the screenshot. The software is free of charge and to download there:

https://www.bundesnetzagentur.de/DE...ortbescheinigung/_functions/wattwaechter.html

The software is once for hams and the other for Citizien Band communications .

Kabel.png

3. K0VWA

K0VWA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you so very much Chip. Your kinds words and best wishes are very much appreciated.

Neuro doc says there's no way to get my white matter back. Best option is hammer down, full throttle, live it up, don't waste a moment. Good advice for life really - regardless of brain condition.

There's so much left to get done though - daughters are 8 and 12. I've only powered up the radio twice this year - trying to do as much with fam as I can.

Sorry for the OT post..

Carl

4. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree
    Modeling in the Near field raises all kinds of concerns/ the FCC even states that.

I Have been involved in numerous RFR compliance cases and the FCC always uses instruments when there's an issue.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    W1YW likes this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Carl,

I am going to publicly share this... might be helpful to others.

I am at the age where I realize I could have a stroke or a heart attack tomorrow and be gone; or my eyesight and hearing and a variety of other ailments can (but haven't) cross the path of shutdown. My suggestion--and others have great ones--is: cherish yourself; live for the next 48 hours, then start again for the next 48. Self-worth should not be defined by others, or an image on a CAT scan. Keeping a family great is a matter of time put in and attitude projecting forward. And remember, as Warren Zevon said--'enjoy every sandwich'.

Don't beat yourself up; don't think it's your fault; don't entertain regrets.

My perspective. Take this or parts from others and let them work for you:)

Chip W1YW

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    W0PV, W9EBE and K0VWA like this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Plug (even) 100 watts and 0 dBi into the calculator with enviro turned on. Try 20 M . Look at the 'uncontrolled' distance... probably not a good idea to do operating when stopped on the Ventura Freeway or Long Island Expressway...or parked in a crowded POTA parking lot.

Chip W1YW

K0UO likes this.
  7. K0UO

Yes and add in ground effects which is a 4 fold increase.

W1YW likes this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Ain't that the truth...

Try dealing with the activists who are CONVINCED DNA is a fractal antenna and RF thus gets received and breaks the chains...try dealing with THAT (on the phone) during your lunch.

Pseudoscience espoused by the champagne s--------s....

At this rate, Green Bank West Virginia will be declared as the next Garden of Eden...

9. WA4KCN

WA4KCN Ham Member QRZ Page

Why have I not received an official mail notice on the new regulation?

N3FAA likes this.
  10. K0UO

It goes in the Federal Register so They don't have to notify you.
    Just like the new $35 fee

NG0L likes this.
  11. WA4KCN

Ok so I have no reason to check the Federal Registry. I don’t know one exists or don’t know how to check it, and I am unaware of the regulation. I never hitherto had to check the registry - after 50 years of hamming. Now what? It sure seems to me this is perfect justification for FCC requiring a mailing address of each licensee.

I wonder in reality what percentage of licensees are aware of the regulation - not many.

FCC es CYA

K0UO and KK9W like this.
  12. KG8ZQ

KG8ZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

If you have time, look up the legal phrase, "constructive notice." It's the basis for the old saying, "Ignorance of the law is no excuse." When legal proceedings are published in certain publications, the law considers that everyone has been given constructive notice of their existence, whether they've read it or not. The Federal Register is such a publication. So, now the law says everyone, not just hams, are aware of these regulations, whether they read them or not.
    73, Jerry KG8ZQ old ham and lawyer (never chased an ambulance, bad knees.)

K8PG, WA5VGO and K7JEM like this.
  13. WA4KCN

I believe that to be, of course, legally correct but without and lacking completely practicability. Yes, the government does not do things well very often; this being an example.

If it’s important, send a notification.

14. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

you can subscribe to the Federal Register, for free, thanks to your tax dollars at work. at 1000 pages a week, it is a lot to go through. but it is useful to note all kinds of goings-on, not just FCC stuff.

K8PG likes this.
  15. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page