New FCC restrictions on selling radios that operate in the FRS band

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB1PA, Aug 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of us have had our eyes open for years. Too bad the FCC doesn't.

KC8VWM likes this.
  2. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

PA:

There have been "intruders" on amateur radio frequencies for many decades. Frankly, as far as I am concerned, I would put up with hundreds of thousands of "intruders", especially on VHF and UHF where range is limited, than have certificated equipment required for amateur radio use!

I don't know what equipment that you use. However, there are still a LOT of us who modify equipment, home-brew equipment, and so forth, and requiring certificated equipment would result in a large number, in fact, EVERY piece of amateur radio equipment, except for commercially manufactured external r.f. amplifiers capable of operation below 144.0 MHz, being required to be scrapped and replaced with new, certificated, equipment.

With the exception of certain 47 CFR Part 15 Radio Services, the Amateur Radio Service is the only one that allows use of modified and home-brew equipment. Requiring certificated equipment would eliminate these provisions as well as possibly requiring considerably more technical knowledge if any repairs, etc., were to be made to amateur radio equipment.

Basically, a BAD idea!

Glen, K9STH

KA4DPO, N8VIL and KC8VWM like this.
  3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I didn't see anything that would require certification of ham gear (other than Part 15 for stuff with oscillators -- which has been required for a very long time, as well as the "HF amplifier" stuff under 97) or would prohibit homebrewing anything.

"Dual use" or multiple use has nothing to do with ham gear. Ham gear is single-use, although receivers might receive anywhere -- but the transmitters are for ham band operation, and commercially built stuff today (digitally synthesized rigs) already locks out transmitting if you go 1 Hz above or below the amateur bands. No dual use.

I think CAP already requires certification of equipment. AFAIK, MARS does not. Maybe it should.

4. K9STH

WIK:

My perception was that PA wants amateur radio equipment to be certificated so that those who intrude upon amateur radio frequencies would not be using the Chinese handheld radios because those radios would not be sold for use on the amateur radio bands. In fact, the idea is to eliminate all the Chinese equipment plus any other equipment that could transmit on the amateur radio bands except for purchase by licensed amateur radio operators who would then be responsible to insure that only a licensed amateur radio operator transmit using the equipment no matter what.

Glen, K9STH

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, well that's not going to happen.:p

6. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

The less regulations we have to comply with in the amateur radio service, the better.

That is to say, I am not against regulations... I am against the unintended consequences of adding regulations.

N5PZJ likes this.
  7. KB1PA

KB1PA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Absolutely opposed to requiring Amateur Equipment being certified.
    I am more inclined to having new licensees demo some sort of practical skill
    like soldering (or crimping) or "something" as part of a post license assessment.
    But there needs to be something to eliminate these radios that allow unlicensed
    Intrusions.

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Good.

9. K9STH

Unfortunately, the cat is out of the bag and there is just no method of eliminating these types of equipment from the general marketplace.

Glen, K9STH

10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

YES! The construction company needs to be nailed, HARD by the FCC, with a very stiff fine! What is it, $10,000 per unit, per day for unlicensed operation? It would serve them right.