ad: IACantenna-1

New FCC restrictions on selling radios that operate in the FRS band

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB1PA, Aug 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree. However...

It's not going to ban anything. The Chinese are not interested in selling Part 95 certified radios in this price arena. ;)

2. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

There are plenty of low cost FCC Part 95 certified Chinese made FRS radios available in the US from online retailers.

3. W8LPN

W8LPN Ham Member QRZ Page

I do have a few of these, they are cheap and what not. But I will say this. A year or so ago there was a contractor in our area, I think doing traffic control for a project. Anyway I was turning the dial on my HT to a local (low profile) amateur repeater. I started hearing something, it was the construction crew on 442.925 talking simplex. So as I do like the price of these CCR's, something needs to give.

4. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There is no doubt that the CCRs are being misused. But if our FCC starts requiring that all imported radio gear be customized for a specific radio service, that will certainly shut down a lot of imports. Motorola will be exstatic because it will eliminate a lot of competition.

5. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The FCC movement to ban certain radios seems to be aimed primarily at the Chinese imports. It is true that this will not change anything as far as we are concerned, not yet anyway. This could be taken farther to include things like home brew amplifiers and radios, or commercial and military surplus radios modified for use on amateur radio.

As it stands, I am not sure how anyone would know if a Baofeng UV5R was being used on FRS, I don't think it would sound any different than an FCC certified FRS radio. This sounds like one of those camels nose under the tent flap regulations that is easy to implement but very difficult to enforce. The result will be strong legislation in the future that could impact amateur operations on70 cm, which, by the way, we only have secondary allocation on anyway. Maybe they want amateurs off of these frequencies because they are worth a lot of money.

6. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

The main issue all comes down to "dual use"

FCC certification requirements are specific to the intended radio service.

Therefore it's not possible for a Part 90 radio device to equally comply with the certification criteria specifically indicated for Part 95 and vice versa at the same time.

For example, the fact an FRS radio is even equipped with frequencies outside its intended service is a violation of its FCC certification itself. It's no different than having extra channels installed inside a Part 95 CB radio.

Part 90 certification requirements on the other hand, doesn't permit you to operate the equipment in another radio service outside allocated Part 90 bands. So using a Part 90 radio on Part 95 FRS bands is equally illegal.

Of course, none of that certification criteria matters when adopting Part 90 or 95 equipment for non certified amateur radio use.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  7. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

Not sure, but I think what's new here is that there are no more combination FRS/GMRS radios allowed. Those used to be common. Recent changes in part 95 effectively got rid of the need for dual certification. The same radios that used to have dual FRS/GMRS certification are now certifiable under pure FRS, more or less.

8. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Disclaimer: I don't own one....BUT
    I do own and occasionally use an FRS radio and I use a 2m hand held occasionally. I've always thought it'd be handy to have one that did both, I couldn't see how a licensed hAm couldn't use legally possess one for use? If it's about non licensed users what is being done to keep ht's out of those hands? I have no answer, just wondering, I'll now go back to rowing.

KA4DPO and AC8UN like this.
  9. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Icom, Kenwood and Motorola all have (of had in the past) commercial UHF radios that include Part 95 certification for GMRS use.

10. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

You can't have "dual use" because for example Part 95 requirements for FRS requires a fixed non-removable antenna. So does any Part 90 or amateur radio equipment have that?

Part 95 also requires the radio equipment doesn't have the capability of using frequencies from another radio service. So does Part 90 or amateur radio equipment have that?

So is any amateur radio or Part 90 radio equipment compliant with these Part 95 equipment requirements?

...That is the problem.