New FAA regulations regarding towers under 200 ft

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W2AI, Jul 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

More noise generated by a ham.

2. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Eric, Matt doesn't want a taxi in his garage--he wants Supercar.;)

[​IMG]

KA0HCP likes this.
  3. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Is there still an exemption for towers that do not extend above the canopy of surrounding vegetation?

4. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

In that case you have to paint the trees alternating bands of white and red. :p

KA0HCP likes this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

And put red light bulbs on top... I think I need to order maybe 2 gross of red light bulbs and a container load each of white and red paint. :D:D

Dave
    W7UUU

6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

And not just any old white, red or orange paint and bulbs from the hardware store, - must aviation colors per Federal standards!

7. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

8. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Latest on this from ARRL:

FAA Reauthorization Act Language Serves to Exclude Vast Majority of Amateur Radio Towers
    ww.arrl.org/news/faa-reauthorization-act-language-serves-to-exclude-vast-majority-of-amateur-radio-towers

Language in the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Reauthorization Act of 2018 will exclude all but a small number of Amateur Radio towers from marking requirements... (1) Towers covered by the rules are structures at least 50 feet tall that support an antenna and are located in a rural area or on farmland or immediately adjacent to such land. (2) According to the Act, the term “covered tower” does not include any structure that is adjacent to a house, barn, or other building, and “is within the curtilage of a farmstead or adjacent to another building or visible structure.” [emphasis added]

;)

9. WB5THT

WB5THT Ham Member QRZ Page

So I'm on a ranch, my overall tower height with mast is 65' and the tower is 165' from any structure - so what is the exact definition of curtilage and how would that apply to me?

10. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Curtilage is the area around or between buildings typically used by the occupants of the farmstead, i.e., between the house and barn or equipment shed, etc. The assumption being that a crop duster would not be spraying that area.

KS2G likes this.