New FAA regulations regarding towers under 200 ft

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W2AI, Jul 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
  1. KF5LJW

    KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

    More noise generated by a ham.
  2. W2AI

    W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

    Eric, Matt doesn't want a taxi in his garage--he wants Supercar.;)

    KA0HCP likes this.
  3. W2JKT

    W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

    Is there still an exemption for towers that do not extend above the canopy of surrounding vegetation?
  4. KJ4VTH

    KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

    In that case you have to paint the trees alternating bands of white and red. :p
    KA0HCP likes this.
  5. W7UUU

    W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

    And put red light bulbs on top... I think I need to order maybe 2 gross of red light bulbs and a container load each of white and red paint. :D:D

  6. N0TZU

    N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

    And not just any old white, red or orange paint and bulbs from the hardware store, - must aviation colors per Federal standards!
  7. ND5Y

    ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

  8. KS2G

    KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

    Latest on this from ARRL:

    FAA Reauthorization Act Language Serves to Exclude Vast Majority of Amateur Radio Towers

    Language in the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Reauthorization Act of 2018 will exclude all but a small number of Amateur Radio towers from marking requirements... (1) Towers covered by the rules are structures at least 50 feet tall that support an antenna and are located in a rural area or on farmland or immediately adjacent to such land. (2) According to the Act, the term “covered tower” does not include any structure that is adjacent to a house, barn, or other building, and “is within the curtilage of a farmstead or adjacent to another building or visible structure.” [emphasis added]

  9. WB5THT

    WB5THT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

    So I'm on a ranch, my overall tower height with mast is 65' and the tower is 165' from any structure - so what is the exact definition of curtilage and how would that apply to me?
  10. N0TZU

    N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

    Curtilage is the area around or between buildings typically used by the occupants of the farmstead, i.e., between the house and barn or equipment shed, etc. The assumption being that a crop duster would not be spraying that area.
    KS2G likes this.

Share This Page