ad: Sussex-1

New! DMR/DStar/FUSION/P25 Digital Hotspot Nano-Spot

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4YZI, Dec 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. AK9S

AK9S Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How about using it to establish a National or State-wide Net without the use of a repeater, no static transmissions, no outdoor antenna, etc. That is what we did. It works and cannot be any more convenient.

But it is indeed strange to be using the Internet to establish an Amateur Radio Network. In my mind, the only way I can justify it is when a reliable communications link is required. Otherwise, it is not much different than Skype, other than no video.

2. VK3XEM

VK3XEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I spoke to Mark at Micro-Node International today and he advised that he is slowly catching up with orders after the overwhelming response to the online video of the Nano Spot sent orders through the roof. I ordered on Jan 04 and he advised mine will ship about 2nd week in Feb. So be patient everyone, Mark is doing his best to catch up on the orders.

3. N8OBU

N8OBU Ham Member QRZ Page

received mine have it set up and it works great i ended waiting 30 days to get it but well worth the wait very well made it came with a usb to 12vdc adapter too so you can run it from your usb jump pack too

VK3XEM likes this.
  4. OH1E

OH1E Ham Member QRZ Page

i have this nanohotspot is not same device, sadly name is almost same...
    but it is opensource, has good community/support, work with pi-star and board is mmdvm. it is very small. and cost under 100$...
    it comes ready to use, just need input just your dmr-id...it support 3g/lte dongle/wifi/ethernet
    just wanted to share this.

[​IMG]
    73 de OH1E

W5PFG likes this.
  5. VK3XEM

What has this got to do with the Micro Node International's Nano Spot. NOTHING. Spammer.

6. OH1E

OH1E Ham Member QRZ Page

Dear VK3XEM please tell me how im spamming here if im telling and sharing my information, i do have this device what is same name? how come you tell now im spamming here? It has alot doing with micro node, its the same name. that is main reason why im bring it up, to let people know there is 2 totally different products on same name at the market. and you tell its spam.
    I dont manufacture those, i havent invented the name, like i said "the name is same" and you jump up here telling im spammer? as i see topic first post this was generally about someone ordering nanospot and i came to tell there is other "nanospots" around, and im spammer?
    Im a spammer now because i use a nanospot, same name as micro node. very funny.

K9OJ likes this.
  7. VK3XEM

Start a new thread, it is obivously a different topic!!!

8. OH1E

OH1E Ham Member QRZ Page

9. K9OJ

K9OJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I received my Nano-Spot a couple of days ago and just wanted to say I'm really happy with its performance. I installed a 14 inch 2m/440 rubber duck antenna and an old wifi router antenna to increase range and I'm getting 0% Loss and BER. I have tested it with D-STAR and C4FM and it works great.

Rob K9OJ

10. K9OJ

K9OJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The Nano-Spot can do Yaesu Fusion to DMR but for all the other modes you must use a radio capable of that mode. If you do enable the Fusion to DMR mode you can't use the standard DMR mode at the same time. You must disable the DMR mode in the configuration page to enable Fusion to DMR.

Rob K9OJ

11. K4AYS

K4AYS Ham Member QRZ Page

It's such a shame that people don't understand the way it works. You don't realize that you transmit from your radio to it (after you connect it to your wireless network) and it sends your transmission through the Internet to a master server (on DMR which I use it for) that will send your transmission all over the world.

I have a friend that lives in Georgia and I have his talkgroup from his local repeater in North Georgia in my radio and can talk to him all day which there is no way I could reach his repeater in North Georgia from my house in Central Florida without the node. The station on the other end does not need a node, as long as he is logged into any talkgroup we can communicate because with the node all I have to do is program in any talkgroup into my radio and I can connect to it.

VK3XEM likes this.
  12. N8OBU

N8OBU Ham Member QRZ Page

yeah around here we have a large dmr system as part of protecting our system we asked users to send us there email address so we can let them know of events that we do that use several repeaters at a time you should hear a few of them cry you want my email address to use your system .. that's not right. but we need it the national weather service uses our system for spotting and people pop in the middle of weather nets and we host many other events and with out checking to see if the time slot is in use they start calling and chatting. i tell them for 10 k they can put up a 180' and buy 200' of 1.1/4 coax 2100.00 for a repeater 400.00 for duplexes 1000.00 for a super station master buy a building and pay some one to build the rest because if they are going to cry about sending a email they are not smart enough to build it . i guarantee their wife would say no anyway lol

13. W1GLP/SK2022

W1GLP/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

1. I received the NanoSpot after a considerable wait, and even groused about the wait, but remember; this is a hobby. Mark was overwhelmed by the orders and after all, it can be understandable.
    2. Mark has been great in terms of support. He was very patient with me helping me set up my new NanoSpot. It works great. THANK YOU MARK.
    3. There are two main differences between the OpenSpot and the NanoSpot. OpenSpot will allow cross over modes (except for Dstar), BUT does not have wifi built in. At this point, as far as I can tell the NanoSpot does not have cross over ability, but DOES have wifi built in. (Maybe it can do Fusion to DMR as mentioned above. I look forward to discovering more about the unit.)
    4. NanoSpot works great in my car using a Cell phone hub.( USCellular). The OpenSpot is a bit more cumbersome to hook up in the car because you need a TP Link and Ethernet cable to connect to the Cellular Hub. I have a solar power bank from amazon and I can use the NanoSpot set-up even during the day while the car is parked outside my office. I might experiment with longer range antennas as per one of the comments above.

All in all, it's my thing to be setting up successful modes. That is what I love about the hobby.

73 de Gene w1glp.

K4AYS and KB7THL like this.
  14. NH6MA

NH6MA Ham Member QRZ Page

Need some help here:
    Seems my nano spot is linked to REF001C; I can hear.
    No can transmit!
    Seems the nano spot is not receiving my radio(s) as I cannot link or unlink or use the echo reflector. I'm keying up and don't see any action on the Dashboard.
    IC5100 and thd74a used here.
    Any ideas?

15. VA3TKO

VA3TKO Ham Member QRZ Page

I purchased Nano-Spot.....waited 1+ month for delivery. It worked great on intial set-up and then very slow start up when unplugged & restarted (10+minutes). Called and spoke to M—k for support. Reviewed my set-up over the phone & online. Could not determine what had caused the problem. Condition returned. Called, emailed & texted M—k again this time with no response. Even though I considered purchasing a 2nd Nano- Spot I changed my mind as a result of poor customer service.