New Digital Petition at the FCC -- RM-11831

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K0IDT, Mar 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Read what?

2. N8OHU

N8OHU Ham Member QRZ Page

Not exactly; my interpretation of what the FCC put in 97.309a4 is that the intention was to show examples of publicly documented modes, rather than an attempt to say that those modes were the only ones allowed. What Ron is wanting to change, which may or may not include removal of modes, is that there is currently no requirement for the developers of modes to include a stand alone application that can be used in conjunction with the modem to receive over the air signals.

AB2RA likes this.
  3. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

I love it. Your cite is relevant to only PacTOR 1. SCS hadn't developed P2 or P3 until 6 or 7 years later. And, we all know that P1 is easily decodable and fully published.

AB2RA likes this.
  4. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

You folks want me to believe that you’re reading is correct and the FCC has been ignoring the law for two decades. That’s a pretty amazing claim, don’t you think?

WU8Y likes this.
  5. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

So let me get this straight, you think that manufacturers or developers of modes are going to create something for which there exists no application for which to read it?

I don’t think that would gain much usage, do you?

6. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

I don’t think what you are saying is what I said. I read all those things and I read them completely differently from you ....and now it is your job to explain to me why the FCC has allowed what YOU claim is illegal to go on for two decades without taking action. So if you’re reading is correct, when are you filing suit against the FCC?

7. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

You are right, in the cite about examples. However, there has been a complete misconstruance in terms of PacTOR. Per my last comment, in 1995, when that list was developed, only P1 was around. In effect, the list was meant to mean only P1. Not the later versions that we have SCS' word for it (that aren't fully released so that others can develop decoders).

I'll let Ron field your query, but I think not. By publishing the code fully, it amounts to an "invitation" for any and all to use it, for any and all who would like to use it to develop decoding software or adaptations to their hardware modems, soundcards, etc.

AB2RA likes this.
  8. N8OHU

N8OHU Ham Member QRZ Page

Did the guy that wrote VARA include anything remotely like what KN6KB did while he was developing ARDOP? That's the sort of thing that Ron is talking about, not just a modem with a fancy UI.

AB2RA likes this.
  9. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

OK. You seem to have a reading issue. Put your glasses on and read your cite, which I will repeat here. https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DA-95-2106A1.pdf
    It was and is a 1995 Order. Years and years B4 P2, P3 and P4.

AB2RA likes this.
  10. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

And, ***WHY** did MARS dump Winlink? Why did Waterman drop out of Army MARS in a huff? Part of the answer is/was the price. Another part, off-shore, single-supplier source. On and on...
    SHARES has lots of money, apparently, and not a lot of common sense....

AB2RA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.