New Digital Petition at the FCC -- RM-11831

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K0IDT, Mar 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N8OHU

N8OHU Ham Member QRZ Page

I can see why you're so offended by my position on VARA. How many folks use it on your Gateway compared to ARDOP?

AB2RA likes this.
  2. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Why would it? Is the NTSD using modes not available to outside observation? It's the self-policing issue, if the general ham population can't read the traffic, and the FCC agrees all amateurs must be able to understand the transmissions of other amateurs. It's in the petition, did you actually read it?

Apples and oranges, the rules read §97.113 Prohibited transmissions. 97.113(a)(5) Communications, on a regular basis, which could reasonably be furnished alternatively through
    other radio services.
    The last time I checked the telephone company wasn't a radio service, unless of course you want to try and make the cellular argument.

Not yet anyway. It's that pesky self-policing mandate that amateurs are saddled with that requires decoding.

AB2RA likes this.
  3. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, and I think you’ll find that that self policing is going on. You just might not know about it

KI4AX and WU8Y like this.
  4. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Take a good look at his proposal, he clearly insinuates that anything that you do that could’ve been done by a cell phone or a satellite is illegal He didn’t put that in his proposal, but he’s getting the precedent established by writing what he wrote ; it’s a dangerous insinuation.

WU8Y likes this.
  5. N8OHU

N8OHU Ham Member QRZ Page

That's just it; he, and many others out there, flat out do not trust Winlink Sysops like you to actually be following the rules.

KI4AX, AB2RA and K4AGO like this.
  6. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I read it, the whole thing basically, and apparently you aren’t familiar with how the current version of the transcontinental corps works! Guess what they use? I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure it’s what he hates: pactor!!! For at least a good portion of their traffic.

WU8Y likes this.
  7. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't ignore it, you didn't read the whole thing that limits "unspecified codes" to 6m and up. Try reading the table of authorized modes under 97.305(c). The petition only effects HF.

AB2RA likes this.
  8. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Not any more than face to face conversation circumvents the telephone companies.
    John
    K4AGO

9. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

I don’t know. I have a neighbor who likes it . I guess this fellow doesn’t like my neighbors ham radio habits!

10. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

I’m sorry, but he made an insinuation about pecuniary interest. I don’t think you caught that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.