ad: QSKLLC-1

New Digital Petition at the FCC -- RM-11831

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K0IDT, Mar 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think model aircraft operators might have issues with the proposed change too.

2. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

That’s fine, I’d like to see FM voice go away! Does that make it right?

3. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

The real problem on 80 m is wasted space between 3600 and 3700.

I don’t have a clue why 500 Hz signals are bothering the author of the proposed regulations.

4. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

But this petition, if adopted, would de-authorize digital text modes that aren't decodable by free, open source software.

5. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope, your assertion is false. At least if I am reading 97.309 B properly.

6. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Right. He wants to decrease working systems. That have been in use for maybe 20 years

7. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

And I think he doesn’t like the current version of the national traffic system trans Continental Corps, because if I understand this this would shut them down also. Wow, he has great ambitions

8. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

AMBE patents are expiring or expired, that page is quite dated.

AB2RA and KK5JY like this.
  9. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

But follow his logic where it goes. He is insinuating that if you do anything with ham radio that could’ve been done by a commercial service, you are in violation of pecuniary interest! So that gets rid of all repeaters, All voice, almost anything that you can do with a paid cell phone or a satellite phone or something else. So his logic would basically get rid of ham radio.

WU8Y and K4AGO like this.
  10. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

But it gets worse. This fellow apparently has an ax to grind. So I don’t think he’s thinking about all the implications. I’m no lawyer, but I suspect strongly that his proposal runs afoul of the “takings clause” of the fifth amendment to the constitution ; I went and read the Wikipedia article to see that there is a good chance his proposal is. unconstitutional. I think that’s common when you have an ax to grind and you’re just trying to get the government to do it for you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.