New Digital Petition at the FCC -- RM-11831

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K0IDT, Mar 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

See this about "Digital Software Decoder." Only thing that appears to be notibly absent are the Winlink favorites:
    http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Digital_Speech_Decoder_(software_package)

2. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Note this warning on that page:
    (Emphasis theirs.)

That's not kosher in free and open source terms.

KK5JY likes this.
  3. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

So this would put an end to the national traffic system digital portion as well.

4. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

And VARA would be illegal

5. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

And I guess single side band would be illegal also since that’s just circumventing the telephone companies isn’t it?

WU8Y and K4AGO like this.
  6. KB1PA

KB1PA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Single sideband is decipherable by the human ear, although it makes you sound like a duck :):):)
    Some digital modes are not, and require non public domain means to monitor, which is contrary to the current part 97 rules.

7. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Certainly single side band is decipherable but it’s a clear attempt to get around telephone costs and using his logic it should be illegal.

WU8Y likes this.
  8. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Now the author seems to have completely ignored this little bit of the regulations : (b) Where authorized by §§ 97.305(c) and 97.307(f), a station may transmit a RTTY or data emission using an unspecified digital code, except to a station in a country with which the United States does not have an agreement permitting the code to be used. RTTY and data emissions using unspecified digital codes must not be transmitted for the purpose of obscuring the meaning of any communication. When deemed necessary by a Regional Director to assure compliance with the FCC Rules, a station must:

So he’s trying to make illegal something that has been legal — if I understand it correctly, but he doesn’t say that.

9. N8OHU

N8OHU Ham Member QRZ Page

Wouldn't bother me in the least for it to go away.

10. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

And as I just pointed out there is nothing in the regulations that requires that everything beer decipherable by public domain software.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.