New Digital Petition at the FCC -- RM-11831

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K0IDT, Mar 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

suit yourself. Youre the one who mocked one of the most deadly diseases in the world. even when thing are carefully explained.....

2. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

You are a WEALTH of information! why would I not want to learn the truth? best to get the facts out there and then decisions are easier. What advantage is there to arguing something that turns out to be false??

1. You completely miss the point of how JS8 works -- I haven't a clue why you miss it. I, a human user, just issued a HeartBeat and got back two autonomous answers. Or at least they turned out to be that. Splitting the service into two areas would serve no purpose other than yours -- it would be a very silly thing to propose -- go ahead an write a letter to QST or some other magazine and propose exactly that!
    2. You don't understand the difference between "anecdotes" [of which you have many] and statistical data, of whic you have shown NONE. Sure, anyone can find this or that pet anectdote, but you need to own up to the statistics that I developed using readily available data that showed you were completely blowing smoke. You refuse to acknowledge that.
    3. No, I completely understood your goal to put all the auto-stations together vis a vis the IARU plan. I think you're just upset that they have turned out to be so popular. A new fellow in the county south of me is teaching a course on them now! Our section emergency coordinators are now getting everyone on board in the state of florida! The ITU has funded now what, 5 stations, and more to come? If you wished to develop real DATA on interruptions to ongoing QSOs....you've had months to do so, but you have never overturned the actual data that i devleoped showing it would be m-i-n-i-s-c-u-l-e. Because I simple took avaiable data and put it all together. You have a perfect right to try and legislate whatever you wish; you just don't get to make the rules all by yourself for your pleasure. And you can't make up the data either.
    4. Why would I not want to know the truth about grants? Lets examine what you found:

A piddling $10K 30 years ago.....that wouln't even get noticed in my department
    In 2002 you found $181K for training of hams (probably paid for the online system that just recently went belly up, perhaps after what, 17 years??) -- but what you didn't tell people was that it was actually LESS THAN TWO PERCENT of a $10.3 million grant (mostly to others to develop volunteer responses -- remember, that was right after 2001,, right?? Twin Towers! Reference: https://ema.arrl.org/2002/08/17/emergency-communications-training-to-begin-september-1/ And while $181K isn't anyting to sniff at...it still isn't that much cash, which probably a bunch went to outsiders to build and maintain the system (which I think just died a few months ago if it is the same system.)

5. You apparently now agree with me, that the NTIA likely will do whatever they wish.

6. Again if people would stop mocking things that actually harm and kill citizens in the wake of disasters, it would be a good thing. You may believe that all of that is irrelevant....but communications is part of the response to disaster.

I don't necessarily agree with the political jabs of the writers, but their study actually showed more excess deaths than I had realized, and here was one of their explanations:

"In our survey, interruption of medical care was the primary cause of sustained high mortality rates in the months after the hurricane, a finding consistent with the widely reported disruption of health systems.37 Health care disruption is now a growing contributor to both morbidity and mortality in natural disasters.15,38,39 In the United States, this phenomenon has been observed in the aftermaths of Hurricane Katrina, Superstorm Sandy, and more recently Hurricanes Harvey and Irma, in which nursing home residents and those dependent on life-sustaining equipment were disproportionately affected.40 Growing numbers of persons have chronic diseases and use sophisticated pharmaceutical and mechanical support that is dependent on electricity. Chronically ill patients are particularly vulnerable to disruptions in basic utilities, which highlights the need for these patients, their communities, and their providers to have contingency plans during and after disasters.41"

One may mock this using the strawman argument that "ham radio would save all the lives'" but that is a heartless response to the efforts to put a social structure including things we take for granted.....communications is one part of that social structure. Inability to recognize that is difficult to fathom. And you start where you can, and you build the system back together as fast as you can because lives depend on it.

Here is the reference, you can read it for yourself. Knowing the facts helps understand the issues.
    https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMsa1803972

KA9Q likes this.
  3. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

You are the master of fallacious argument techniques.
    here are some of the ones you are using:

STRAWMAN: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man "ham radio will save them all" "only hams do"

AD HOMINEM: https://www.logicalfallacies.org/ad-hominem.html

It would be better if you actually dealt with the issues of how to reduce morbidity / mortality after disasters and how people like amateur radio operators can participate in that. Learn something about what happened in Hurricane Michael in areas where communications didn't come out so well.

4. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

At least you're consistent. I see no need to answer anymore, you have answers to everything to prove once again you're right. Enjoy it while you can, the world may end tomorrow yours and mine.

5. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

We still haven't seen any proof contrary to:

1. Pactor messages outside WINLINK are easy to monitor if you simply own the equipment. (The manufacturer and one ham both explained it)
    2. Pactor messages INSIDE winlink could be disassembled by starting with the publicly avilable software from John Wiseman, if you get a good packet stream -- which any good electrical engineer or sufficiently wise amateur radio operator should now how to do.
    3. WINLINK uses a publicly available compression system that is probably used in every one of your computers that are reading this.
    4. A simple proof-of-concept experiment succeeded in only 30 minutes --- far faster than expected.
    5. At least one expert in the field explained why (2) is true and therefore why (4) was actually unnecessary (but I did it anyway)
    6. Actual data illustrated that USA 97.221(c) WINLINK stations are a vanishingly small usage of time-bandwidth on 40/20 meter bands.

So the remainder is just where people stand philosophically on matters such as whether they shoold have to pay for anything in ham radio...and how the available bandwidth should be utilized. then various people have attempted to allege that there is no need for volunteer emergency communications. And hopefully the laughable claim that the security of the United States is threatened by winlink....has been relegated to the wastebasket.

Cheers,

Gordon

KA9Q likes this.
  6. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Well as I explained earlier, I was WRONG for several hours trying to get that push-to-talk not to CHATTER on that uBitx.....but finally I figured it out. And you pointed out that the JS8 folks COULD just all move to the ACDS sub-bands (I hadn't thought of that). but getting to the truth of something makes it a lot easier to see the right conclusion. Or at least reduce it to a philosophical or political choice Somehow I don't think the Venezuelans went down the right path!

7. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

See post 1898 for an excellent example.

8. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow! If that is what you call ad hominem...... you've missed the point of ad hominem. None of those are dirty names--they just expose the powers you have claimed. I may well have made errors in these thousands of posts -- but ad hom. is an attack on the PERSON rather than their positions. You took positions that you knew what was illegal, you knew what hipaa said , you know our errors -- and in many of these, your judgments were false. I have tried (I hope successfully) not to attack your character, your intelligence etc -- instead I have provided DATA and PROOF against your positions (You have refused to acknowledge them to my knowledge but others spotted them and cited them in their filings.) When you brought up spectra of signals -- I studied them, picked one and tried to contact the station -- it was a club station.....never got anywhere. (They had their gain turned wrong or something.) I called your Section Manager to confirm that your concerns had been passed on properly. Early on you taught me a good bit about the arcane regulations of data and frequency -- finally figuring out where you were taking a position opposite to basically every other nation on earth. Stunned by the lack of statistics in your assertions, I once gently tried to figure out if you have an academic background -- you declined to answer, which is your right. Where you have provided claims, I have gone to the original sources and tried to understand them. So hold me to it -- we should be dealing with people's POSITIONS and their assertions -- and I should also do that!

9. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I didn't mock anything, I just mentioned it along with several others to shed light on your flair for drama. Get over it. You're acting like a butt hurt teenager.

10. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I would offer that amateur radio has no place in that scenario. Once again you are so overly dramatic it is laughable. You should get a life that includes things beyond ham radio, it might improve your mental health.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.