ad: AbAuRe-1

New digital mode FT4

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Apr 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Quote from PDF "Early release candidates of WSJT-X 2.1.0 enabled us to explore the advisability of making FT4 an asynchronous mode with no fixed start times for T/R intervals. These tests served to highlight the significant advantages of using time-synchronized sequences. Fixed sequence lengths with prescribed start times ensure that a much larger fraction of received signals are decodable, especially in contest-like operating conditions where a given station may transmit roughly half the time. In terms normally used for communications engineering, synchronization increases channel capacity."

2. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use many modes, including, CW, SSB, and Digital modes.

I read some of the negativity on FT4. There seems to be no appreciation for the time an effort, in which Joe Taylor had to put in to create the new digital mode (FT4) / And it is for free!0

Back in the day, we had HeathKit to built our Ham equipment. Today most of the growth and advancement is in software, (SDR, and these new digital modes)

Embrace, enjoy and appreciate these folks who create the new advancements! For those who see it as a negative, create something else that the Ham community can use.

See you on the bands, on any modes!

Best

NN2X, Tom

WB4CTX, KI6PMD, W9FL and 4 others like this.
  3. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

And the Heathkits were not free, the software is.

A clear case of 'no good deed goes unpunished'. Hams are killing hamradio.:D

WU8Y likes this.
  4. N6KZB

N6KZB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Man the tool box is heavy as it is.....................................

5. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

The mode that'll break the ham's back.;)

6. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Remarkable !

Onwards and Upwards !

Kudos to Joe Taylor :cool:

G3SEA/KH6

W9FL, KM1H, K8XG and 1 other person like this.
  7. K0IP

K0IP Ham Member QRZ Page

Why fight it, be happy don’t worry..

We are the Borg of ham radio, your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own… Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. You will burn your microphone. And that silly thing you called a bug too..

I don’t like, but for those that do, a QSO is but a mouse click away. No intelligence required, let the computer do all the thinking, CLICK CLICK,, wow I worked another one !!

Sure makes my DXCC look like a piece of useless paper.

Just let them be….. as the song said,, Don’t worry, be happy.

DM2TT and N2NOW like this.
  8. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

FT4 ?????? ok for contesting.....but I used to use FT8 and got really sick and tired of it FAST! what is the sense of having a 6 second qso? I'd rather watch dragsters in the NHRA drag meets that last 6 seconds. 6 seconds......I'll stick to js83, HAM RADIO DELUXE,FILDIGI, psk,olivia and cw. these quick fast " hello/good bye 15,6 second qso" are for the lazy operators,button pushers that can not type. I'm an old buzzard am operator and the time out repeater king of our local radio clubs repeater. I love ragchewing. Think the longest ragchew I ever had was 7 hours and that was on am. nope FT8 AND 4 not for me.

DM2TT likes this.
  9. KA1BSZ

I'll go back to SPARK.

10. KA1BSZ

5BDXCC,WAC,WAC5B,WAZ,WAZ5B,WA COUNTIES,WAA ( WORKED ALL AMATEURS ) CLICK......THERE....ONLY TOOK 4 DAYS TO WORK EVERYTHING INCLUDING DUMMY LOADS.

11. KA1BSZ

JOE is a smart guy and met him at a local ham fest a couple years ago.

12. W4FID

W4FID XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I appreciate what Joe has done for me with FT8. It gives someone with a modest station and HOA antenna issues the ability to work someone somewhere about 24-7 and gives me a LOT of countries I would never work with any other mode. In the past 6 months I have worked over a dozen countries I never even heard in my previous 58 years as a ham on AM, SSB, CW, and RTTY. A quick look seems like FT4 will be about twice the speed and twice the bandwidth -- in round numbers. FT4 will need new "watering hole" frequencies. But there should be room for watering holes for FT8, JSCall, RTTY, et al and this new variation. Bring it on, please.

N5AF likes this.
  13. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

According to the FT4 document http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/FT4_Protocol.pdf:

Experience will tell what may be the best strategy for selecting dial frequencies during contests, and for how many ~3 kHz segments should be used for FT4 on each band. As initial guidelines we suggest the following default dial frequencies for FT4: 3.595, 7.090, 10.140, 14.140, 18.104, 21.140, 24.919, 28.180, 50.318, 144.170 MHz. We will welcome any feedback that could lead to better frequency choices.

KM5BOR likes this.
  14. N2NOW

N2NOW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

there's some funny shit here to read.

N4AWP and DM2TT like this.
  15. DF7FE

DF7FE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's not my mode. I still love CW and some SSB. Do not need computers talk to each other. In my opinion this is not having a QSO. Sorry.

N2NOW, VK6APZ/SK2022, W4FBI and 3 others like this.