ad: SMHam-1

New digital mode FT4

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT, Apr 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. N3EG

N3EG Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, I haven't joined the Mode Of The Month Club.

2. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It seems like with these FT modes, the more “advanced”, the less “communication”

3. N2NOW

N2NOW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hilarious!!!!!!!!!!! LOLOL

4. K4ZOT

K4ZOT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been a Ham for over 55 years, first licensed in 1964, and have used AM/SSB almost exclusively over these many years, but with some CW thrown in there. I have a modest station with somewhat compromised antennas (i.e. no real elevated tower or elevated wire antennas). The poor propagation in the past few years and dismal prospects for any real improvement for the next few years has shaken my interest in the hobby during the past year or more. At 72, I do not have that much time to enjoy the hobby during the next good sun spot cycle to appear. Even though I have achieved a number of awards, I just could not "get out" like I use to during these poor conditions.

Then along came FT8 - WOW now I could "get out" again like I had in the past. I've conformed over 110 DX FT8 stations, several new DXCCs and finally after 10 years of really trying my CQ WAZ award thanks to FT8. Now I am almost exclusively on FT8 and waiting for the 6M season to fully open to increase my 6M grids again using FT8. So why I am writing this post? I miss my SSB contacts - not US contacts, but DX type contacts using voice communications. I do like FT8, but I am concerned where the hobby is headed - now we will have FT4 which I'm sure I will jump on and start using. Perhaps, it is only my memory of how good SSB was during the good sun spot years. These were years that I could easily work the world on SSB with 100 watts and a simple inverted "V" dipole. Those were thrilling days to me at an early age. Perhaps never to return, but in its place I will continue to use FT8 - at least I can now "get out". Conflicted for sure.

Glenn
    K4ZOT
    WAS, WAS-6M, DXCC (217), WAC, WAZ, VUCC (6m grids - 273), WPX

KZ4KX and K7SKE like this.
  5. K7SKE

K7SKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not counting dupes....right? HAHA! See ya on the bands!

6. KC1JA

KC1JA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great comment

7. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

That would be a false decode, not likely to be confirmed on LoTW.;)

Telepathy in hamradio is nothing new, think Topband.:D

8. VA7WPN

VA7WPN Ham Member QRZ Page

They are doing it with MMDVM, I think its a great idea. Especially with the digital info being passed for some of the modes.

9. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Before 'mode armageddon' happens, knowing where the 'watering hole' for each mode is located helps identify it.
    This problem can be mitigated if/when developers find a way to incorporate RSID (Reed Solomon IDentifier) into their new protocol.

10. KD5COL

KD5COL Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats on getting your license!

The FT series of modes are, IMNSHO, for amassing as many contacts as you possibly can in a short period of time. If that's your thing, do it.

I prefer actual conversations so I tend to stick to SSB, RTTY, PSK31 (no macros, please), and Feld Hell which is my favorite digital mode.

I don't see why there's so much contention. If you don't like something, don't use it. It's that simple.

I hope you'll enjoy the hobby for years to come. I've been licensed since 1997 and still enjoy amateur radio as a hobby.

N0NC likes this.