New Contest for DXers and Portable Operators

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions and Special Events' started by K4FMH, Aug 11, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. EI5IEB

EI5IEB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Fantastic that there is such a positive response to this. We are holding zoom planning sessions here in Dublin, Ireland too.,
    We are planning on operating portable from IO63
    More details to follow shortly on our club site
    https://www.ei0el.com

K4FMH likes this.
  2. KB1RS

KB1RS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think this looks like a fun contest.
    Question - the operating time is listed as 8 hrs, but it isn't specified if the setup for portable operations is included in the 8hrs. For example, can I spend 2 hours setting up an antenna in a field and then 8 hours operating? You might want to clarify that in the rules.

3. K4FMH

K4FMH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your Q. All rules can be more or less specific, for sure. But the Steering Committee's intent so as to cover all potential situations was "the operating time is listed as 8 hrs" by using "operating" time in that sentence for the 8 hour block. Now, theoretically, this could allow two years to "set up" your portable station (i.e., a fixed station) but we trust you and others to use their sense of ethics on what a reasonable set-up time period would be for a portable op vs. a fixed station.

Look forward to seeing your log! And, nice horse in your QRZ profile pic!

Frank
    K4FMH

4. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking forward to this. I'm 100% portable and this looks to be right down my alley. :)

Chris

5. KB1RS

Thanks for the answer!

K4FMH likes this.
  6. YC7MCQ

YC7MCQ Ham Member QRZ Page

ini ide yang bagus! Kami setuju

7. PD2R

PD2R Ham Member QRZ Page

The little pistols usually have no idea how much effort the big gun stations have to invest to be on air. Do you think all the towers and antenna's will erect and maintain themselves? Running a high power station means you are no longer tinkering with RG58 and wires but with Heliax, big towers and lots of aluminum. Rain, wind and sun means you need to constantly maintain your station.

I have operated and helped maintain two stations (PI4COM and PI4DX) which can be considered big gun stations by Dutch standards. I have also operated low power portable stations during the IOTA contest and field day. I can tell you one thing, sometimes we choose to operate low power because it's just much easier to set up. No need for big power generators and power and coax cables that can handle high power. No need for filters (less RFI problems) and heavy-duty switching gear. Even the tables/desks we use can be less heavy duty because they don't have to hold heavy amplifiers.

My point is that whether you operate as a little pistol or as a big gun, it both takes a lot of effort to get and stay on air.

The POC seems like an interesting contest. This year I will probably have to pass because in that weekend we will be traveling back from OZ to PA. Nevertheless, me and a couple of my ham radio friends like operating portable, so we will definitely keep an eye on this one ;-)

K4FMH likes this.
  8. K4FMH

K4FMH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Rob,

Thanks to your Q and numerous others via email, the SC has decided to establish that portable station setup must be within the 48-hour period of the contest but prior to the continuous 8-hour block of operation. It’s now in the official Rules Doc on the foxmikehotel.com website.

9. KB1RS

Thank you! I'm looking forward to participating.

K4FMH likes this.
  10. DK7RE

DK7RE Ham Member QRZ Page

misunderstanding - sorry- I wanted to compare portable stations to fixed big home-stations, portable to non-portable.

Just today , there was a Europe-contest. I didnt know that, when I tried to be portable today. I built up my station (mostly the antenna, dispite windy conditions). But when I started my receiver, it was clear- no chance. HF was totally clogged with stations, mostly high powered stations. Under such conditions you can forget portable (low power). All over the band I could hear at least 2 stations simultanly. This was no exception but more like the norm. And its hard to believe, that all these stations did not notice what I noticed. Even if they use high power, they should be able receive the other stations. but ofcourse, the higher their output, the bigger the probability that other stations receive their signal, but they do not recognise the simultanly transmitting stations.
    Sorry, but I do not like these kind of contests. It mostly means, the bands are totally clogged. There is little chance to receive weaker signals . And these for a big part would mean dx -stations. Europe contest - to get as much stations from Europe in a short time? for What? This is not quality but just quantity and means clogging the bands.To operate as quick as possible. For what?