New callsigns

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by G0OQX, Apr 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W0AQ

W0AQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm from Kansas (although I live in Maine now, thereby breaking the call district numbering convention). I just wish I had known that all of these people were pointing at us when I lived there.

2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

W4NNF and W0AQ like this.
  3. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Glad you cleared that up for those of us confused:oops:

4. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sequential 1x3 calls starting with N were issued into the 1990s (mine for example).

5. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

VSK:

It is very common for those living on the east coast and west coast to "forget" that there are quite a few persons living in between. So, making that assumption (yes, I know what "assume" means), i thought it my duty to remind you of that fact! :rolleyes:

Remember, Texas is the 2nd largest state, in population (with "global warming", when all the ice in Alaska melts, that state will be smaller than Rhode Island and Texas will, again, be the largest in area as well - at least that is what a lot of Texans say) and is acquiring, literally, thousands of new residents every day and most of them are coming from California or eastern states. The Dallas / Fort Worth Metroplex gained over 1-million residents (all legal and who knows how many illegal) in the past 3-years! Florida is also growing in population because, like Texas, the climate is, generally, pleasant and there is no state income tax.

Glen, K9STH

6. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

This is getting even more absurd which I didn’t think possible. Nevertheless, it is entertaining to know how many people you associate with who “forget” people live between the coasts?

7. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

VSK:

I am not picky! I associate with people from all over the country!

My wife was even born in Glendale, California. But, she was raised from age 3 in Atlanta, Georgia, and doesn't claim to be from California! Neither do her two sisters who were also born in California and who were teenagers when the family moved to Atlanta.

Seriously, I judge a person by their actions and not from whence they came!

Glen, K9STH

8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd been missing mine for a long, long time...I got on the air with the HW-16 50 years ago this coming July. I've thought about replacing the old girl frequently of late, but post 1990s I'd decided to focus on new gear and the here and now. That just went by the boards. I was browsing the local hamfest and found this pair for 50 bucks (including the VFO). It had even been recapped. How could I resist? I plan to have her on the air by July. :)

upload_2019-4-26_6-5-16.png

WN1MB likes this.
  9. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

True. The FCC devised a different sequential callsign system that was implemented in 1978. The old rules regarding callsign issuance were thrown out the window. Prior to 1978; the FCC was issuing recycled WA and WB 2x3 prefix calls. Those holders of 'preferred calls' (i.e. 1x2, 1x3) would receive a similar 1x3 callsign if they moved to another radio district under the old rules. In some populated call areas the WD prefix was used. The "N" prefix was a Group C callsign block reserved for General and Technician Class. When that particular block was exhausted the FCC went directly to Group D for sequential calls.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  10. G0OQX

G0OQX Ham Member QRZ Page

This one takes the biscuit, saw it CQing on 20m a minute ago (from the Czech Rep.).
    OL10ZUHZSCR
    11 digits!
    I'm now finding this amusing rather than mildly annoying.
    Come on Europe lets go for a world record, give us a twelve.

W4NNF likes this.