ad: vanity

New callsigns

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by G0OQX, Apr 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Don’t like it? No problem. Don’t work them. Move on to another frequency. Problem solved.

2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You need a DX60B, an HG10B, and an HW16, too, Dave. :)

3. K5ABB

K5ABB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a HQ-110 and a Drake 2NT.... does that qualify? (actually used during my early 70's novice days) and still have 'em

KE0TNL likes this.
  4. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

If I have time this weekend (we have a special event going on... family, not amateur radio) I’ll look for you.

Pity that I can’t resurrect my old call for the occasion, though.

W7UUU likes this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Get three friends, and start a club ;)

I can GUARANTEE YOU that no one in the Vanity Pool was clamoring to get KN7NNN ... just sayin'

Dave
    W7UUU/KN7NNN

KE0TNL and KK5JY like this.
  6. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

In the context we are discussing (about being in a different district than the callsign implies), the example you cite is not relevant as the location isn’t very important even when call districts were indicative of location.

For the majority of the population who live on the coast(s), pointing a directional antenna toward Kansas works every time if one is only interested in U.S. qsos.

7. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Umm, well, the thought occurred to me, but it’s not that simple.

8. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That explains why people in Kansas and Oklahoma use so many dipoles. ;)

9. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

VSK:

There are a LOT of us who don't live on the east coast or the west coast. As such, "pointing at Kansas" will not usually garner all that many stateside QSOs! Even for many of those who live on the Gulf coast can't just "point at Kansas". Therefore, having the call sign be from another area that you don't live in does not really have much of an effect.

Of course, there are exceptions when someone has a call originally from Alaska, Hawai'i, or one of the territories, etc., that are not in the contiguous 48 states, who keeps that call and then moves to the contiguous 48 states, that can certainly be confusing. There are several of those persons, in the Dallas / Fort Worth area, that mostly have KL7 calls, who have kept those calls. They disappoint, especially newer operators, when their actual location is discovered. However, those operators are so small in number that, statistically, the effective number is zero.

In some ways, it was nice when it was required to have a call from the district in which you lived. Until the first half of the 1970s, the FCC issued additional station calls for those who had fixed stations in more than 1 location. However, they then stopped issuing such licenses and, when the existing license expired, it could not be renewed and then the operator was restricted to having a call from his / her primary fixed station location. Starting in 1962, I got my 1st additional station licensed to my fraternity house on the Georgia Tech Campus (WA4MLI). Then, after moving to Texas, I got a 2nd additional station license (WA5STI, I never forgave the FCC for missing STH by 1-letter). My K9STH call had the station location at my parent's house in Indiana, the WA4MLI had the station location at my mother-in-law's house in Georgia, and the WA5STI call was at my home in Texas. All 3-licenses had the mailing address in Texas.

When the FCC did away with additional station license and then said you had to have a call from the district in which you lived, I was "awarded" W5UOJ, a call that had been held by at least 3-others before me. When the vanity program first started, priority was given to those persons who had previously held a specific call. Of course, by this time, the requirement for having a call from the area in which you lived was eliminated. So, I applied to get my K9STH call back. At that time, there was a real fiasco with people applying for 1X2 and 2X1 calls. So the FCC paused the vanity program because so many people had not followed the rules. Since my application absolutely followed the rules and was not for a 1X2 or 2X1, I telephoned the FCC. The lady, who answered the telephone, listened to my appeal. Then, she pulled the file and said that I was absolutely correct, there was no reason to hold up my application. It was 2-days later that my K9STH license arrived in the mail and it was several weeks before other vanity licenses were issued again.

The FCC still issues one's very first license based on the mailing address. But, after that call sign has been issued, with the now in-place vanity program, an operator can immediately apply for a call sign from any of the 10 contiguous 48 states districts. Unless they live in one of the other "special" call sign areas, they cannot apply for a call from those special areas and, if they do live in a specific area, they can only apply for a vanity call from that area.

For quite a number of reasons, the FCC is not going back to the call from the area in which you live system. The present vanity system has been in place for over 25-years and probably the majority of amateur radio operators, on-the-air these days, have always lived with that system.

Glen, K9STH

10. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Or verticals :rolleyes:
    Nowadays even telephone numbers are irrelevant to their physical area code location. As an old fart I find it annoying but it is what it is.

KK5JY likes this.