New callsigns

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by G0OQX, Apr 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I'm trustee of the Nostalgic Novice Network Club with the call sign KN7NNN but you'll never have to worry about working me unless you only hang out on CW on the three original Novice bands of 80 40 and 15 :)

Dave
    W7UUU

KU4X and K7MH like this.
  2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I do hang out on CW, but usually on the opposite end of the band. Long time since I visited 7100 - 7150. :)

3. KN1M

KN1M Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks! It was issued to me in January of 1982 by the FCC. NOT a vanity call.

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The one concession I make to the Novice aspect is my KN7NNN activities are allowed to happen all the way down into the Extra sub band (since the Trustee is an Extra) :)

Although I do like to hang out at 7112 with my straight key.

BTW, the only radios allowed for KN7NNN are rigs that would have been reasonable to believe were available for a Novice in the mid-1970s (i.e., my IC-7300 or FT-950 don't count but the Henry Radio Tempo One does!) My favorite lineup right now is a Globe Scout 680, HA-5 VFO (or one of 3 dozen FT-243 crystals) paired with an HQ-180 receiver.

Dave
    W7UUU

5. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Okay, I'm in. When will KN7NNN be on the air? I'll even use the straight key.

6. W7UUU

I'm out of state all week but will be on the air this weekend - happy to work a sked :) 80 and 40 of course are best - with 80 having an edge many nights right now.

Dave
    W7UUU

7. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

You know where to find me! (here).

W7UUU likes this.
  8. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

I’ve had a few large antennas over the decades but nothing was ever so narrow as to create any significant distinction within any call area. Regardless, if the antenna is that big and narrow beamed, it inherently hears very well.

K7MH likes this.
  9. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

People today are much more likely to move between states or even regions of the country than they were 20 years ago. (A huge part of it is economic, but there are lots of other reasons as well). In my area (churches specifically, but non-profits in general), the average employee makes such a move every 6 years. Expecting the number in a US call to match the OP's location is simply a thing of the past which it is not remotely practical any longer.

I am admittedly not a fan of FT8, but location exchange is always a part of my QSOs entirely separate from the call sign.

W0AQ likes this.
  10. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

VSK:

Of course, it depended on just where one was located. For someone in, say, central Illinois or central Indiana, a 0 station could involve having to turn the antenna at least 120-degrees. For someone in the Denver area, a 5 or 7 station could require almost 180-degree rotation.

However, all that aside, you are certainly correct that you could often hear a station well off the front of your antenna. But, I would think that you would then rotate the antenna for maximum signal strength. I guess that those who strongly resent the requirement for having a call from your residential district being rescinded, are just too lazy to rotate their antenna for maximum signal strength. Instead, they just want to "point and shoot" based on a preset direction for a particular call area.

The only thing that is helpful is with the call signs assigned to each country and how those calls are assigned to their overseas territories. At least from this country, that information, generally, allows fairly accurate antenna pointing just by looking at a chart.

Of course, for stations licensed by the FCC, and for those foreign stations who have registered here on QRZ.com, just looking them up and going to "detail" will give you a very accurate beam heading. More, and more, amateur radio operators do have an Internet connected computer at, or very near, their operating position and many of those operators do lookup the call sign of the station being worked. Unless the operator is operating away from his / her normal location, or if they have moved and have forgotten to update their mailing address (updating is a legal requirement), this heading information works very well.

Glen, K9STH

W5BIB likes this.