New callsigns

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by G0OQX, Apr 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think he's annoyed because the grid indicator is not being displayed.

KK5JY likes this.
  2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have no idea what your proposed solution is. While I'm not a big fan of, for example, KN calls (makes me think I'm working a Novice and wonder why he is out of band)...there are only so many 1x2 and 1x3 calls that can be issued.

3. W4NNF

It is also possible to get false decodes, although probably not in this case.

4. W4NNF

Maybe, but as you've been told, these are special event calls, not some kind of conspiracy. :p

WU8Y likes this.
  5. WD8T

WD8T Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think they're all special event calls although some are. I noticed these extra long call signs start popping up about a year ago. One was a club call somewhere in the EU and I worked a station in Canada with a really odd one.

6. G0OQX

G0OQX Ham Member QRZ Page

So you're saying that unnecessarily long callsigns have no effect on a QSO in marginal conditions??
    So to restate, long callsigns turn off the maidenhead locator notification in the FT8 software. That is a "real" problem if you want to know the distance of your QSO. This may not be a "real problem" to you, but why sacrifice this information for no reason, because I can see no benefit in having a callsign longer than is necessary.

As I type this, AM470xxx and AM370xx are calling CQ on 18MHz FT8.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  7. KN1M

KN1M Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmmph!

8. G0OQX

G0OQX Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a big fan of four digit calls. Congratulations on having one.

9. AF5WS

AF5WS Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked II0BIKE yesterday on 20 mtr cw. It took me a while to figure that one out. Special station call.

10. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The AM/70 Spanish celebration is only for the month of April.