New Baofeng Disappointment

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KN4SMF, Jul 3, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

As can be seen in the video, 3 chips.
    QST did a test of the major brands and these chi-coms.
    The Tx IMD was very high compared to the name brands.

2. KB2SUJ

KB2SUJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Alrighty then! Today, I took apart my two UV5R. Ridiculously easy to disassemble. Care was needed to not destroy 'happy cheapness'. The only trick was when pulling the chassis out, the mic socket 'catches' on the case and you need to pull the chassis and spread the case slightly. First one took 15 minutes to do, the second, under five. If my eyes were not so bad, it would of taken only two.
    I drilled using a bit in my fingers using a 5/64" and I followed that with a 3/32" to ever so slightly chamfer the hole on the exterior to make it look 'finished'. I did not measure the old hole but it is certainly more than twice the area.

Remember, when reinstalling a screw in plastic, turn the screwdriver backward until the screw 'falls into' the hole. This ensures reusing the already cut threads. Not doing this risks recutting the threads and eventual stripping of the hole. Also, never tight, just barely snug is plenty. I wish I knew this stuff when I was a kid!

KA9JLM and K4EEO like this.
  3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

That, or (if/where possible) I try to (re)start self-tapping screws into plastic by hand. If they ARE falling into the original thread slots, they should go in easily by hand, with no force needed.

KB2SUJ likes this.
  4. KD2TTM

KD2TTM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a couple of Chinese HTs: a Baofeng UV-S9 and an Alinco DJ-MD5T. They both are functional. The Alinco is much nicer. The Baofeng was $30; the Alinco was $150. I live on top of a small hill in a very hilly/mountainous area and have no trouble hitting repeaters (nearest one is over 20 miles away) with either HT.

I have a Comet CSB-750 mag mount antenna stuck on a cookie sheet in the attic (and added a X-shaped counterpoise of tape measure steel) and can listen to a lot of traffic trough it. I later added a Comet GP-3 on a 20' mast in the front yard. It does a little better. I'll eventually move that to a chimney mount to get it higher yet.

The key to enjoying them is learning the cumbersome programming and using a repeater guide to get all your local repeaters entered properly. From there, you should have a lot to listen to. CHIRP software is a very big help!

5. CHUCKSTEIN

CHUCKSTEIN QRZ Member

So, I have tri-band 5R btech and feng, the dual-band antenna that came with were a bit crappy. Rolled the dice on this set, and they were much better than the OEM whips.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A4FCN0U

You can also try the HYS 771N antenna. I have a few Nagoya's too, not the greatest items.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021