ad: wmr-1

New Baofeng Disappointment

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KN4SMF, Jul 3, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. YO3GFH

YO3GFH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi,

The mic is pretty close to the hole, so I preferred to take the whole thing down. Sorry I didn't take any pictures, but I remember I used some clip from Youtube as a reference. Didn't bookmark it, but this one seems to be ok:

1/8" may be a bit wide, I used a 2mm bit (5/64"?)
    Good luck!

KB2SUJ likes this.
  2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Remember that age old automotive advice? Jack up the radiator cap and put a real car under it?

Well, jack up the rubber duck and put a real radio under it. ;)

UT7UX and KB2SUJ like this.
  3. KB2SUJ

KB2SUJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks easy enough. Thanks.
    I also appreciate you not just telling me to Google it! Though admittedly, I should of. Sometimes, I just do not think.

4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, you get what you pay for. Then again, I don't expect Ferrari performance from (even) a Ford Mustang. The Mustang, of course costs a bit(!) less than a Ferrari.
    The Baofengs, Woxun, etc. are what they are. They don't have YaeComWood performance, but they don't co$t as much as a name brand H-T, either. (And it is either foolish or naìve to think otherwise.)

KB2SUJ likes this.
  5. KB2SUJ

KB2SUJ Ham Member QRZ Page

If (really when) I loose or trash the UV5R, no crying like I would with a FT60, really the bottom line other than a curiosity. Next week I'll do me some drillin'!

6. WA9SVD

Right. I'd MUCH rather drop a UV-5R from the top of a 60' tower than an FT-60. (then again, I'd rather not drop even a UV-5R, for that matter.)

KB2SUJ likes this.
  7. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

A difference between a $30 radio and a $150 one>>>>>>>ya think?
    Maybe there is a reason for the cost difference!
    The chi com only has a couple chips in it = low cost and poor comparable performance..

KI5PLE and WD4DXQ like this.
  8. WA9SVD

Poor, acceptable, and great are relative terms. At least in MY experience, my Baofeng has "acceptable" performance. But I never expected (or paid for) Yaesu (or Kenwood, or Icom) performance, either. Of course, YMMV.

9. KE8OKM

KE8OKM Ham Member QRZ Page

This taped to your external facing window or better yet outside the window up in a tree or bush.

https://n9taxlabs.com/shop/ols/products/dual-band-slim-jim-antenna-with-10-or-16-foot-cable

Should help significantly.

I have a BF (RX only. I am not sure if the TX of the BF’s are in spec) the BF sat in my kitchen monitoring simplex 146.52 for several months I heard 2 calls for CQ in all that time.

I have another HT (FT60R) I use to RX/TX from my home attached to the N9TAX antenna up in a tree outside my window. That setup picks up MUCH more activity.

Get a better antenna and get it up and outside, you should see a significant improvement!

Erik
    KE8OKM

10. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't be surprised if using a better aftermarket antenna or external antenna on a Baofeng renders it deaf to anything but strong local signals.

KI5PLE and WN1MB like this.