ad: AlphaRF-1

New Baofeng Disappointment

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KN4SMF, Jul 3, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Some Chinese HT's need to drill a hole in front of the microphone in the housing.

YO3GFH likes this.
  2. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My wife and I use a pair of Baofeng UV5Rs for communications round the marina and they work perfectly well. Audio is fine and the sound quality is good. I have occasionally used one into a repeater a few miles away and, while it is not a Yaesu, it is not particularly bad either.

Martin (G8FXC)

G0CIQ likes this.
  3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Those that go the "other" place when they die aren't given a choice: they are assigned to 2020 for eternity:(:rolleyes:.

4. W2WDX

W2WDX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Henry ... you're a realtor right? Let me ask you this. If you listed a newly-built three-bedroom two-bath home for $14K, who would come looking? The poor and the cheap, and people who know it will certainly take a lot of work to make it a real house if at all possible; and they would most likely just flip it as is. Most people looking for a serious home would think about it and pass ... there's something just not right there.

You have a $14K home in your hand. I certainly wouldn't expect much if I were you. You could always flip it and buy a real property. (no pun intended)

5. KB2SUJ

KB2SUJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a bunch of HT, a few are UV5R's. I've run a few tests from my home to the 'local' (20 miles away and installed high on a TV tower) repeater using both the UV5R's and a Yaesu FT-60.
    Neither radio receives well inside and of course, no one can hear me. I go to my front porch and with the stock rubber duck I can hear fine. Both radios have close to similar clarity. On transmit, while I am heard using either brand of radios, those listening state the Yaesu audio is clearer. No efforts by me improve their reception. It very well may be the tiny mic hole in the UV5R that is the problem (and probably crappy mic element).
    I made a small J-pole hanging it on my porch and leading it in to the house. Both transmit and receive is stronger and more consistent
    Walking about my neighborhood and talking to my wife at home, we cannot tell who has what brand radio. That is until we get more than 1/3 a mile apart and the slight hills overpower the signal. Again, pretty much as expected.
    I think I paid about $15/each for the UV5R's. Really throw away pricing and cannot be beat at the price point. The Yaesu's were 10X the cost and are very nice radios. Fords are nice and so are Ferrari's.

KD2TTM likes this.
  6. YO3GFH

YO3GFH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes indeed :)

Had the same issue as the OP until I enlarged the tiny hole over the mic. Much better results after the surgery.

7. KY4GD

KY4GD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been under the impression that one of the biggest concerns about CCRs is the signal quality. Some models may appear to perform reasonably well, especially for the money, but how it is acting under the sheets matters too, especially if you care about respecting the rules. There are likely Baofeng clones that would fail even Baofeng's standards. You would need an SA and attenuator and time for a few tests to know if it is even legal.

It isn't a big deal that they sometimes fib about output power, or that they are not the best built or prettiest. For the price, you get what you get. But what you are giving up is being reasonably comfortable right out of the gate that your radio meets or exceeds requirements.

8. AD7SK

AD7SK Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry about your experiences. I recalled the glory days of 2 meters and bought a couple of new Yaesu dual bander mobiles for my Jeep and truck a few months ago. They transmit and receive well, but while there are repeaters nearby, few are on the air. Wireless smartphones and the internet have effectively taken the air out of 2 meters/70 cm around here. The busiest band is 33cm, but even that is < than a couple of comments an hour.

Recently, I drove half way across Arizona and then back. There was no traffic on 2 meters or 70 centimeters. Plenty of repeaters, but no one willing to converse.

I feel as if I spent a significant amount of money on these radios, the antennas, coax, wire, some tools, and a lot of install time for two effectively dead bands.

I suspect that 2m/70cm has active adherents in some areas, just not in my AO. It may not be only your Baofeng.

9. KB2SUJ

KB2SUJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm leery in doing that in case I am too aggressive. Do you just spin a 1/8" bit in your fingers to widen or did you gut the radio to do it? Pictures and a explanation of the procedure you followed, if you'd be so kind.

10. KY4GD

KY4GD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It still can't hurt to have a handheld somewhere in the house though, even if there are no repeaters to ragchew on. Cellphones are resilient, but it feels good to know that I can also make local simplex contacts on two meters.