New Baofeng Disappointment

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KN4SMF, Jul 3, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. KY4GD

KY4GD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I can hit W4BFB from Pineville using one of these on a UV88:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N307V8W

I bought those to use with a different radio and a MMDVM hotspot, but was really surprised they work as well as they do between here and the repeater. You really should be hearing some chatter on that repeater, and on W4FTK and I think it is N4GAS in Gastonia. It isn't as busy as CB was "back in the day" but there is no way to go a whole day and not here people. And yep, they are a world of a lot more professional, for want of a better word.

2. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly!

3. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Subscriber QRZ Page

You haven't wasted our time, you learned things- as we all did when we started out.
    The cheap Chinese radios are what they are- inexpensive, functional to a point, for many an affordable "entry-level drug" into the hobby. But they have their limitations as you are seeing.
    As mentioned not all Chinese radios are bad, and depending on your needs may be the only viable option for certain modes. But for now if you're only interested in analog FM operation on VHF/UHF and want a handheld your best choice is something higher up the food chain from one of the "big 3" (Yaesu/Kenwood/Icom). Keep an eye on the QRZ classifieds and a good used one might turn up that's in your budget.
    The BF is still good as a cheap disposable radio to keep around as a spare and general carry radio where you don't care what happens to it. And say what you will about them (and there is plenty to say), at least there are options for affordable VHF/UHF gear for ham use these days- back when some of us got started the only way to get on FM was with repurposed commercial gear i.e. Motorola which was $$$ and required modification to use on the ham bands. Even the ham mfrs. didn't make HT's for us back then.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
    US7IGN likes this.
  4. KN4SMF

KN4SMF Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I'm happy now. Tonight was the W4BFB 9 o clock emergency net and they heard me. The man said I sounded good one time and not so good another. I have to run outside and stand in the middle of the road before anybody can hear me. Tonight I ordered an el-cheapo 15 inch antenna. It'll take a couple weeks to get here, but maybe that will be helpful.

G0CIQ, W6KCS and KY4GD like this.
  5. K4EEO

K4EEO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

6. W6KCS

W6KCS Ham Member QRZ Page

The advice not to use an outside antenna might be good if there are other transmitters nearby, but if you're in a "dip" where there aren't a lot of signals around, I think an outside antenna makes sense. Even a mag mount mobile gain antenna on a flat cookie sheet out on the porch/deck would be an improvement. It wouldn't be a waste of money if you also plan to use it in the car. I'd try to find a ham club and get some advice about your area, maybe borrow a mag mount or small base antenna to try.

G0CIQ and US7IGN like this.
  7. W2GIW

W2GIW Ham Member QRZ Page

Somebody once told me......If all else fails.....read the instructions.
    Ken

8. KD1JT

KD1JT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a TYT-something-or-other 2m, 440. $29. Radio works fine for what it is. But around here FM repeaters are dead 99.9% of the time. I thought it'd be a useful thing to have when I'm working HF portable, but I haven't taken it out since the first time out ... about two or three months ago. I don't regret the $30, I've spent a LOT more on a bottle of whiskey.

9. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The Baofeng is a pretty basic radio, but you really need to do some more scientific tests before you blame it... Yaesu make a wide range of radios - which was your friend running? It's not reasonable to compare a Baofeng HT with a Yaesu FT-991A, for example - the FT-991A can output 50W and has a far more sophisticated receiver. Also, what are your respective distances from the repeater? It is probably outputting some tens of watts via a fairly sophisticated antenna - you are running five or six watts into a rubber duck. Performance will not be symmetrical - you will probably hear the repeater a lot better than it hears you...

Martin (G8FXC)

G0CIQ and KB2SUJ like this.
  10. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

This is true in most cases no matter what brand of hand held you have.