ad: wmr-1

New Baofeng 144/220 MHZ transceiver the UV-82X

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by K4TEC, Nov 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K4TEC

K4TEC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We have just received our first batch of Baofeng UV-82X dual band transceivers
    They cover 136 to 174 and 220 to 269 MHz
    I have produced a short video showing this new model transceiver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQOi9LbtR8g

This is a full feature dual band rig and puts out a full 5W on 220 as well as having the correct resonant antenna for 144/220

Best 73s
    Martyn
    K4TEC

2. K6LCS

K6LCS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Had to stop watching the video after the statement, "Very high gain" for an antenna rated at -2 to -3 db - at best. (grin)

Wouxun has had a 2M and 220 HT out for a couple years - how does this rig stand up to it?

Clint Bradford

3. PD0AC

PD0AC Ham Member QRZ Page

-2 to -3 dB? I want one! When measuring these kind of antennas I generally end up at -6dBd or worse. You can make it look better by using dBi instead though.

Hans

4. KB0TT

KB0TT Ham Member QRZ Page

Ugh Oh

I hope this is not the ' Notorious Martyn ' from years past... If so, caveat emptor.......

J

5. WA8LGM

WA8LGM Ham Member QRZ Page

They also show, at Radiomart, a tri-band version Bao Feng that is 4 watts out on 144/222/440. Anyone see that one in the ads on RadioMart's page?
    Better yet, has anyone actually BOUGHT one and have an opinion of it?

6. K3NXU

K3NXU Ham Member QRZ Page

7. KA3VSP

KA3VSP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had the Wouxun 2/220 ht and it was OK. Typical "cheap" feel, though. I purchased a 2/220 Baofeng UV-5R at a hamfest a couple of months ago and was surprised at the feel of it. It felt more like a Yaesu than a cheap Chinese radio. Programming the UV-5R from the keypad is very simple. I purchased a number of 2/220 UV-5R's from Amazon and two from Martyn when they were "discontinued". I gave them out to friends. I'm glad to see that there is another 2/220 model with the UV-82x.
    [h=2][/h]

8. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I had to stop watching the video because it was out of focus.

I wonder if I will get harassing emails for saying that.

9. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have one of the Radiomart UV5R's he sold at Dayton this year for 2M/222. Works great.

10. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

The only thing weird about the UV-82, which kinda made me decide on something else, was the two-way PTT switch. Not sure that is necessarily a good thing.

11. KC3BSH

KC3BSH Ham Member QRZ Page

I just bought a UV 82 and for the most part I'm happy with. I was in town the other day and hit the local repeater with it and talked to a guy some 30 miles away. He said I had a great signal. Now I live out in the country in a very dead valley spot. With a mobile antenna I was able to hit that same repeater some 25 miles away and participate in a local net. Not everyone could hear me clearly but some could. What I don't like about the unit is it is hard to charge the battery. It doesn't operate like it is supposed to. I am able so far to get it to charge but this could be a real issue. Question, I know I can make contacts but the 2 meter band seems very dead. And this is in the Baltimore metro area. Is this band not in use much anymore?

Thanks,

Joe
    KC3BSH

12. PD0AC

PD0AC Ham Member QRZ Page

Joe,

you're not the only one. The UV-82 charger is designed very poorly and very unreliable. You can probably fix it yourself though. Check this post and see if it matches your problem.

Hans

13. K3NXU

K3NXU Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's a Follow Up on my own question...
    The Workman 220 antenna was received the other day and testing did show a bit of an improvement.
    It does come with a BNC connector, but I'm a "connector collector". An SMA-F to BNC solved the interface issue.

If your Pet Band is 220MHz I would recommend giving one a try.

John K3NXU . . . http://www.miklor.com/UV82

14. N1NQC

N1NQC Ham Member QRZ Page

Joe,

Although I am not really interested in these radios I will say that your antenna/height/feed line should be first priority.Gain (on transmit AND receive) is easy to come by on 2m and higher.Marginal FM is tough to listen to after a while.

I'd optimize you antenna system first, then add power later.

K

15. W6VHK

W6VHK Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup, it sure is .........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.