New Attack on Extra Class Licensees regarding 75 meters

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NK2U, Nov 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

User reports are starting to pile in on this thread.

If the reports keep coming in, this thread will be locked

Thanks!

2. AG4RT

AG4RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Do moderators close threads based on some threshold number of user reports or does there have to be an actual rules violation?

NK2U, KP4SX and NN4RH like this.
  3. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I haven't really noticed any rules violations in the past 10 or so pages, unless they're subtle and I missed them.

So my guess is whichever side feels like they are going to "lose" the internet today, might be trying to get the thread locked down.

NK2U and WZ7U like this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

No - we close them based on "pain in the ass to monitor anymore" factor. The number of reports is simply what calls attention to a "problem thread"

When a thread becomes so volatile with multiple posters continuously taking jabs at each other, and other posters hitting "report" on every punch and counter punch, hoping for a moderator to help them win some perceived battle, it just becomes too much work for the Moderation team and we close the thread.

I hope that helps answer the question

Dave
    W7UUU

W0FS, KX4O, WE4B and 7 others like this.
  5. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

I've always wondered what lumbago was! You made me go look it up. :D

KA4DPO likes this.
  6. AF7TS

AF7TS Ham Member QRZ Page

I am going to agree with your basic concept of the 'world becoming digital' and that we need to adapt to such, while at the same time suggesting that such adaptation offers the opportunity for more homebrewing and 'analog' modes.

1) 'Homebrew' essentially never means 'build your equipment from scratch', but rather 'build your equipment from pieces that you can buy'. Yes, people have 'homebrewed' their own vacuum tubes, but few and far between. Today 'homebrew' often means putting ICs together with very few discrete components. You buy parts and put them together. I would argue that today 'homebrew' should include building the software of your SDR radio. Homebrew includes adapting to the digital age.

2) The transition to SDR type radios means that analog modes might actually become _more_ common. Keep in mind that _all_ radios are analog, and in an SDR all of the existing analog modes will be available as menu options. Now we can easily experiment with new analog modes, and there are huge possibilities.

a) If we use what we've learned in the digital voice realm about which parts of the voice signal are most important, we can look at both frequency and amplitude companding to optimally 'encode' voice over an analog channel.
    b) Perhaps we can come up with 'hybrid' modes where you have a digital mode (meaning discrete in frequency/amplitude/time) where the channel coding actually permits analog demodulation
    c) Maybe some sort of narrow band (frequency compressed) double sideband attenuated carrier system could replace SSB
    d) Morse code carried by binary phase shift keying anyone?
    e) Etc.

Jon

N0TZU and W9BRD like this.
  7. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Now that was funny.:D

8. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

You beat me to it. ("A crummy commercial...")

N2EY likes this.
  9. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

The ARRL Board, not the ARRL CEO, is the only body that has that authority. The CEO's job is to implement Board policy through the operation of HQ and leadership of its personnel. So if the ARRL Board does not order that those petitions be withdrawn, they won't be withdrawn.

10. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

That's funny. I cannot remember EVER reporting a thread. Sounds like there are numerous crybabies out yonder. :rolleyes:

NK2U likes this.