New Attack on Extra Class Licensees regarding 75 meters

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NK2U, Nov 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

No, it wasn't. It was to experiment with something new. High gains in spectrum efficiency can come only with a large-scale, general move to the new technology, which adoption comes relatively slowly. (And no, "everybody" did not start [using] digital.) The move from double-sideband AM to SSB was about using less spectrum (and doing away with heterodyne interference caused by carriers beating against each other in a receiver's AM detector; I was told by Byron Goodman, W1DX [ARRL 1935-1966] that het interference in the phone bands was terrible]). The digital replacement for a given analog mode may or may not be spectrum-narrower than what it replaces; for instance, I'm awaiting the digital mode that's more spectrum-efficient and technology-efficient than hand-sent on-off-keyed Morse. (Since I serve as the modem, thereby obviating the need for a computer in receive and transmit, I expect to wait a long time.)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    N2EY likes this.
  2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And that was when there were far fewer amateurs running 'phone!

Plus....other factors.

The classic top-shelf AM transmitter of those times was a Class C final (usually triodes) with high-level (usually plate) modulation, running a full 1 kW DC input. Such a transmitter involved some serious iron in the power supply and some sizable RF components, rated for 100% duty cycle and 3 kW PEP or more. A typical setup involved a 6 foot relay rack, or maybe two, just for the all the heavy stuff.

To my knowledge, there were only two models of such transmitters built for the amateur market: the EFJohnson Desk Kilowatt ($1600 or so, without exciter, the rest of the desk, or shipping) and the Collins KW-1 ("If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it"). From what I have been able to unearth, there were about 400 Desk Kilowatts made, and about 150 KW-1s. At least some KW-1s were bought by various Government agencies.

Running "medium power" (200-500 watts) AM wasn't easy or inexpensive, either. EFJ Five Hundred, anyone?

SSB changed the picture dramatically. A 100 watt SSB transceiver such as the SB-100 could be set up on a card table, with the HP-23 power supply tucked away. An SB-200 amplifier raised the power level to 1200 watts PEP input, cost only $200 when first introduced, and weighed only 35 pounds. For the full 2000 watts PEP input on SSB, the SB-220 was well under $400 when introduced and wasn't much bigger or heavier.

SSB made high-power 'phone much more affordable - and "desktop".

For many years, "digital" meant "RTTY", which required a teleprinter (almost always used/surplus, because new ones cost a fortune), some added electronics (TU, etc.) rig modifications, and supplies (paper, ribbons, oil). Plus space for everything.

Then came PCs in the shack, with soundcards.....

73 de Jim, N2EY

W2AI, W4NNF and K8PG like this.
  3. W3DBB

W3DBB Ham Member QRZ Page

Moving 3600-3650 kHz back into what FCC refers to in its regulations as 80 meters with all the attendant 80 meter rules makes sense. The 80 meter CW-RTTY-data band is too small at times of peak use.

Unfortunately this is not what Roderick & Co. are pushing. One has to consider the result of ARRL petitions over the past several years assuming all are eventually adopted in regulation. To me they are Trojan Horse petitions. As standalone petitions they are innocuous to a degree. Taken together they regulate into existence 2.8 kHz bandwidth PacTor IV email robots at 80 meters for Technician Class and above licensees. This is and has always been an end run around membership to provide relief for League advertisers and ring the ARRL cash register.

I don't recall an explicit statement the ARRL President and the involved BOD members have the approval of the CEO and paid executive management for the recent ex-parte presentation. One has to assume they do.

I've been disappointed by ARRL post 9-11 and the direction the organization was taking. I've let my membership lapse a couple of times over the past 20 years. I figured ARRL membership was superfluous. I was counting on the new CEO to direct inside counsel to withdraw the above-referenced petitions. With the recent QST editorial page announcement of Howard Michel's Cliche Festival it appears the bulk of attention is being squandered in an all-too familiar direction.

Fact remains ARRL is all we have.
    Just as true, they don't amount to much.
    If they're counting on people like me for their future viability, they're screwed.

K5WY, ND6M, K0IDT and 3 others like this.
  4. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Nicely said. You took the time to say it.

5. N2EY

How so?

I mean, where are the ads for Pactor 4 hardware?

N2SR and N0TZU like this.
  6. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't feel obligated to respond to N2EY's redirect or deflection questions.
    The League's direct and indirect methods -- their Trojan horses -- stand all by themselves.
    Stand your ground; ignore his deflections.

NK2U and K8PG like this.
  7. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, it's a conspiracy, right? So there must be Pactor 4 modems being advertised in some secret code. You just don't have the decoder ring.

N2EY likes this.
  8. N2EY

"Be sure to drink your Ovaltine"

WE4E and N2SR like this.
  9. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Say,,,,Did I tell you about my lumbago?

10. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree, very well said.