New Attack on Extra Class Licensees regarding 75 meters

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NK2U, Nov 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Do you subscribe to QEX?

2. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh, the drama. How about if I said they were staffed by money grubbing aliens? You got a beef with that too? Take to the chaplain cause your swinging at fences. Try to get out more, it might do you some good.:rolleyes:

Buy the way, I didn't state anything, I asked a question (And why did they drop ARRL and re-organize as another company?) note the question mark.

You should read things more carefully before you try to pick a fight.:p

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I would say the ARRL needs to work on getting digital technology to really utilize less Spectrum, then we will all have plenty of spectrum.

That's why the ARRL supported incentive licensing back in the sixties we had to upgrade and we would get more frequencies, and more room for various mode privileges, now we're going backwards. There's a whole lot more extra hams now and I don't think they're going to go along with the ARRL reducing bands and Mode usage.
    The backbone of the American radio relay League really is extra class amateurs that's who's footing the bill for them, and giving them endowments and Trust when they go silent key.

These are good ways to screw up the ARRLs cash flow for sure, by slapping their backbone membership in the face.

I'm a life ARRL member, so I guess I can't stop my membership if they support this kind of foolish activity, but I can be a grumpy old man and complain about it!!

I definitely can assure you my Section manager right on up to the President of the league will hear about it from many of us on 80 SSB. Also some AMer now operate in that part of the band . That's what happened last time and they backed down, and we all we're led to believe that this was a dead issue. Several League officials told me that personally at Dayton.

This is not anything the FCC is proposing, it's something that somebody foolishly came up with and the League's is backing it.

We have far more extra class license now than at any time in the past. That was the idea for upgrading, everyone worked hard to upgrade, some of us even had to take a 20 word a minute Code test, so we would have more privileges. now they want to take it away from us.
    WRONG
    If the league is really trying to be a better run organization , which I thought it was doing, these kind of things wouldn't happen.
    Many of us committed to the league last time and they decided not to support it so what's going on up there now??

Taking extra class privileges away, goes against the last 50 years of incentive licensing and upgrading that the ARRL has supported.

Also when everybody started digital, the idea was for it to use a whole lot less Spectrum.

That's what analog to digital in the cellular industry did, and also on Digital television, now we have multiple channels occupying the same bandwidth.

I would say the ARRL needs to work on getting digital technology to really utilize less Spectrum, then we will all have plenty of spectrum.

That's the real issue. The digital technology that amateurs are using is not using technology to effectively manage Spectrum. We wouldn't even be talking about this if our digital technology followed what was going on in DTV or cellular. Cellular companies even though they were spending billions $$$ for spectrum still had to change their technology, in fact the FCC mandated it.

NK2U and N4FZ like this.
  4. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry, I don't buy it. The advanced technology today is much more varied and sophisticated than back in the day. To home brew a current technology radio today would require knowing signal processing theory and practice, digital techniques, familiarity with available highly integrated chips, microprocessors, and writing firmware. It isn't about the latest transistor or tube, or traditional analog techniques anymore, and hasn't been for some time.

I subscribe to QEX and many of the articles have far too much mathematics and theory to ever have been included in QST, which isn't a technical journal and never has been. QST is a general interest magazine in the hobby, and as such must treat a large number of topics with little depth. In the past there were fewer topics and the depth could be greater.

Today it's next to impossible to have a one-size-fits-all monthly magazine. Specialization and abstraction continues to accelerate in every job, profession, and yes, even hobbies. And now ARRL will publish a magazine aimed at newer hams and operating. So that will make three magazines where there used to be only one. Saying that QST was "better" back in the day is about as relevant and useful as complaining that modern cars can't be fixed under a shade tree anymore like a Model T.

So, back on topic, I think it makes little sense to treat digital users as second class citizens when in fact they are on one of the front lines of the technology changes taking place. We need to be forward looking and allow reasonable space for for digital techniques on the bands, and adjust over time for the inevitable decline in popularity of many of today's forms of analog communication. Eventually even most real time phone communication will be digitally encoded and modulated, and analog phone will be a relic with a small following, much as AM is today.

Adapt or die, that's the way the universe works.

KV6O, W9BRD and N2EY like this.
  5. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You asked why something happened... which didn’t happen.

I’m not the one looking for a fight here. I guess anytime someone points out that you’ve made an error, it’s looking for a fight?

Any further comments, while justified, would no doubt make the Staff unhappy. They have enough heartburn dealing with... others. I am not going to add to it.

N2EY and W0FS like this.
  6. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think the regional aspect is certainly true. KY, TN, AL, GA, the Carolinas, are very active in my radio. In contrast, right now, I hear one FT8 watering hole and I can find half a dozen CW QSOs going. If there's any other digital activity, I don't hear it here.

While we're studying that question, I suppose we have to ask if we can accurately make national policies based on regional experiences. One man's ceiling is another man's floor, as it were.

K0UO likes this.
  7. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Should rename the thread "the 75 meter hour" because it's starting to sound just like 75 in here. Hahahaha

KI7TGX, KA4DPO and W2AI like this.
  8. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Another doomed thread......

9. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed - and here's a bit more.

A few amateurs were using superhets as early as 1921, when Godley took one to Ardrossan. But for the typical CW-using amateur, a superhet wasn't much of an improvement over a good regenerative receiver such as Grammer's "Rationalized Autodyne", which used only 3 tubes (RF amp, detector, audio amp), could be built with simple hand tools and was "sure fire" (QST, January 1933).

The single-crystal filter offered CW operators something regenerative receivers couldn't: single-signal reception. Not just selectivity, but no "audio image" when receiving. This plus other features such as AVC, noise limiters/blankers, and S-meters, pushed superhets to the foreground. But homebrewing such receivers was a much bigger task, and while it could be done, many chose to buy rather than build.

And there's more....

The amateur market in the 1920s was tiny - there were only about 20,000 US amateurs in the 1920s, and probably less in all the rest of the world. During the Great Depression the number of US amateurs exploded (to about 60,000 by Pearl Harbor) but economic conditions limited how much money most amateurs had to spend. Still, the growth of manufactured gear for amateurs in the 1930s shows the beginning of a trend. There were also SWLs and others who would buy "communications receivers", not just amateurs.

WW2 had truly major economic and other effects on US amateur radio:

- Electronic developments during the war advanced the state-of-the-art tremendously. The "ultra-highs" were the new frontier, miniaturization took off, and mass production lowered prices. Tube types were standardized - note how many pre-WW2 tube manufacturers and types did not make the VT-list.

- Large numbers of American acquired considerable savings in war bonds, and many received training during the war and via the GI Bill that helped them get good jobs after the war.

- The sudden end to the war in the late summer of 1945 and the decision to sell off enormous quantities of parts and completed units at pennies on the dollar created the surplus market and started companies such as Heathkit. Surplus, particularly HF receivers such as ARC-5s, BC-342s and BC-348s, offered postwar hams a quick and inexpensive way back on the air. Some transmitters could be converted as well, or used as parts sources, VFOs, etc.

- The "Levittowns" of the post WW2 era, aided by VA and FHA mortgages, moved millions of Americans out of apartments and city row houses into the suburbs where having an amateur station was much more practical.

- Mass production of electronics, particularly kits, meant that it was often less expensive to buy a receiver or transmitter than to homebrew one from all new parts. (I once used 1959 catalogs to figure out the cost of building a simple Novice transmitter from all-new parts - the price was higher than a typical equivalent kit transmitter such as the Heath DX-20 or even the Johnson Adventurer).

- Manufactured gear had significantly greater resale value than homebrew or surplus.

In addition, the Novice license of 1951 made it much easier for newcomers to get started. The "Great Giveaway of Christmas 1952", which gave full privileges to all US amateur except Novices and Technicians, encouraged many to get on HF 'phone - which led to widening the 'phone subbands and adding a 'phone subband to 40. When 15 became a US amateur band in the early 1950s it had a 'phone subband from the start.

But all was not beer and skittles. Television exploded onto the electronics scene, and with it came TVI. Amateur transmitters that had been just fine before TV had major problems once TV arrived in the neighborhood. Early TV stations were often not all that powerful, and early TV sets were often prone to all sorts of interference problems, so amateur transmitters had to be super-clean to pass muster. The old open-chassis transmitter designs, often built on wood, were replaced by shielded, bypassed, filtered rigs where the metalwork often rivaled the wiring in complexity. Easier to buy than to build...

A handful of amateurs had used SSB in the 1930s, and after the war, crowding in the 'phone bands plus simpler transmitter designs caused some to adopt the mode in the 1940s and 1950s. Plus an SSB transmitter with Class AB linear amplifier stages was less TVI-prone than a Class C transmitter. But what really caused SSB to displace AM as the prime HF 'phone mode was the development of SSB transceivers and matched-pair separates that could transceive - and which cost less than the equivalent AM gear of just a few years earlier. SSB transceivers became easier to use (no zero beating, very simple tune-up), and moved many amateur stations out of the basement or attic into the den or other living space.

The typical 1930s amateur might have a homebrew three-tube blooper and a pair of '10s. Less than 30 years later - the span of time from the early 1990s until now - the typical 1960s amateur might have an SSB transceiver......

73 de Jim, N2EY

K7TRF, W9BRD and N1BCG like this.
  10. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

They have not done so. So why ask the question?

N2EY likes this.