New ARRL Volunteer Monitors

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W5KUB, Mar 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W5KUB

W5KUB Ham Member QRZ Page

Tues night March 19th on W5KUB.COM at 8:00 PM central. Jason from Ham radio 2.0 youtube series will take us inside Flex radio. Riley Hollingsworth, retired special counsel to the FCC will be here to discuss the new ARRL Volunteer Monitors. Riley has now taken the position as Director of this group. Tom will more of the DVMega Cast IPradio that can do Dstar, Fusion, and DMR. See what Josh and Katie are up to. plus much more. Chat room and phone lines open for viewers. Our show is also simulcast on international shortwave 5130 Khz. We invite you to join our ham radio facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/w5kub/

KM6VOV likes this.
  2. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]

KM6VOV, AF7XT, WZ7U and 5 others like this.
  3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not sure this is any different in practice from the OOs.

My feelings?

1. If there is something wrong with my signal or I'm operating out of band or doing something else egregious, I want to know.

2. If I get a pink slip from them saying, "You failed to identify every ten minutes. You didn't ID until ten minutes and twelve seconds into your transmission," I'll just laugh, shake my head, and place it in the round file.

;)

KM6VOV likes this.
  4. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

That's the world's famous Deputy sheriff Barney Fife from Mayberry County, NC!!
    Truly a law enforcement icon from the early 1960s!!

KM6VOV, K9ASE and (deleted member) like this.
  5. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think the main things are that the VMs will be anonymous, the OOs were not, and VMs will send all reports to ARRL, then ARRL not the VMs will send out any "pink slips".

KM6VOV, K8PG and W4NNF like this.
  6. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In that case, who cares. If the ARRL claims to be providing a "self-policing" service to help hams, then WHY do they make a point of telling everyone the offenders get a black mark on their file in Newington? Surely if there was a problem with my signal or equipment, another known operator would tell me about it during normal communications. The anonymity and the "bad mark on your ARRL file" is what gives any type of program like this a bad wrap.\

To be honest, I got a letter from an OO over a hairsplitting, non-equipment related issue. I did not agree with the citation, and when I asked for clarification, I was literally told to shut up and stop emailing by the people at the ARRL. THIS CAUSED ME TO THROW THE SWITCH FOR SEVERAL MONTHS. I was upset and disgusted with a hobby and an organization that told me to shut up and get back in line, and I never got clarification on the reason for the card. To this day, I am still a little sour on the hobby, but I've moved on, though I no longer enjoy HF Phone. Some may have noticed my shift to CW in recent years.

OO, VM, it just doesn't matter what you call it. As long as the folks stay anonymous, and make operators feel like they've got a "rap sheet" because of [in many cases] a judgement that may or may not be accurate, these programs will always have a bad reputation.

Also; is the ARRL really going to send out the cards instead of the individual VM. Even criminals who commit heinous crimes have a right to face their accuser. Is the ARRL trying to drive existing operators out of the hobby while saying they are trying to attract new operators? I'm just about done.

KM6VOV, WD4IGX, N3AB and 1 other person like this.
  7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would think (hope) most of the people who will volunteer for this program will be sincere and will be genuinely helpful. However, there will always be a few "Reserve Police Officers". Solution? Not to throw the big switch, just to give them a chuckle and do the appropriate thing with their "citation." ;)

KM6VOV likes this.
  8. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And, ultimately that's what I did. I've got the card hanging in my shack as a badge of honor. But this bothered me so much that after the ARRL shut me down, I wrote to the FCC for a clarification on the rule. I got no response from them, so I actually sent an email to Gordon West himself....and of all things, he actually answered. His response was a political non-answer....meaning he could not clarify the rule either. It is a total gray area that falls between what the FCC specifies and what is in the VE question pool (there's nothing!). Since the amateur auxiliary it specicifally told not to split hairs (emphasis added):

Q. The card seemed a little nit-picky to me. Do OOs send cards for discrepancies that lie in the gray area between black and white rules violations?

A. OOs are advised to avoid hair-splitting and to deal with black-and-white rule discrepancies only. They should avoid the "gray areas" of the rules. OOs should not be nit-pickers. For example, an OO should not send a notice to someone who forgot to identify his station for ten minutes and eight seconds!

If you feel that the OO sent you a notice that violates the spirit of the OO program, send a copy to your Section Manager or to Headquarters for evaluation and possible action. Quality control is critically important in a program as sensitive as this one!

SOURCE: http://www.arrl.org/amateur-auxiliary

Anywho....when I followed the instructions and sent a copy to my section manager and to HQ, I got stonewalled and was treated rudely. "How dare I question an OO" was the attitude. Yet when I took it to the father of Ham Radio training, he could not confirm that it was actually a violation. So whatever....by nature I'm a rule follower to a fault, and this was very upsetting to me. (I've never gotten a speeding ticket in all my years of driving). I say OVER and ROGER and ID on every transmission. I check for a clear frequency before transmitting. I've been doing it for years, and I've been through MARS training (twice) and RACES training. I'm a good operator who got a BS card from an organization that couldn't explain why. So I'd ask....how is this good for the hobby?

BTW - I really don't care if I have a file in Newington...I don't think anyone does. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. But the ARRL, because of this and serveral other customer service related issues, lost a paying member after 25 years. Way to go guys!

KM6VOV, W5BIB, ND6M and 2 others like this.
  9. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

A "tattle-tail" version of an "OO"? Sorry, I see no difference.

KM6VOV and ND6M like this.
  10. AD0HT

AD0HT Ham Member QRZ Page

ARRL - the HOA of Amateur Radio.

KD5RJZ, KM6VOV, K0UO and 6 others like this.