New ARRL directors

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N3AWS, Nov 21, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W5INC

W5INC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hopefully 1 of the ideas expressed at the Tday dinner is the free and open exchange of ideas/grievances that ANY AR OP has with the ARRL, occuring on the ARRL's own website. Or any other facets of the AR enviroment . That all business is done in the store front window for all to see and not any back room dealing, such as having others do your proxy bidding for you. Via the PM route?

Actually growing the ARRL is harder then it ever has been, in the 100+ years the Club has been around. Easy instant WW communication is in your hand @ your beck and call, usually 24/7/365 days a year. Why do I need to get a license plus go thru the expense of getting a OP position up and running? These monetary/time consuming obstacles have always been part of AR from Day 1, but with far more, less costly instant WW communication options available today to people, these obstacles have gotten larger, more difficult to overcome concerning getting the younger generations involved in the ARRL. Even Ray Charles can see this and he is dead and blind. The days have been long over of AR OP being created, because of instant communication over long distances.

EMCOMM sure isn't the future of AR, as Mr. Jerry, W7SR pointed out in his astute postings on this subject here on the ZED. IIRC, his post was about that the ARRL brass knew the EMCOMM program was doomed from the start, but the ARRL went down that avenue anyways for some strange reason. He has been deeply involved with the ARRL for 40+ years in his past and no longer wants to be involved in this club. Too radical for the ARRL now? We need members to voice their opinions on matters and not be regimented in their actions, voicing their concerns. Even if it is far different then my own POVs. In this case, the more the merrier.

I speak my mind in the store front window, not via the PM route, because it doesn't pass muster in the Sunlight, or from lack of backbone of my beliefs. Being an individual and not a drone, used to do other's proxy bidding. HPM, plus the ARRL's original crew members weren't drones, self centered narcissists, but dynamic individuals who weren't afraid of a challenge, failure and could actually see past their own interests. This has always been a rare commodity in AR, because by it's sheer Nature it has always been petri dish for the self centered, narcissistic Human animals out there. I, I, I and me, me ,me is in no shortage on the bands, or here on the ZED.

Growing the Club is akin to being a farmer. Lots of actual boots on the ground hard toil, that should make you a strong member of the Community. That 100+ year old ARRL/Community partner list should be a long 1? o_O The clock has been running and the later you plant your seeds, the chances of getting your bumper crop in at harvest time, decreases by the second. Maybe the suits can take a lesson from the folks in fly over Country on how to grow a crop, without paper pushing, cutting corners?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  2. W5INC

:D Excellent.

Why did Dave resign from the position to begin with? Was any ARRL business, the catalyst for the civil lawsuits that were filed, that followed his departure? What is missing off the ARRL masthead since 2016?

3. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

So, fill in the blanks for us unwashed, please.

4. W5INC

Don't know the actual facts of the proceedings, that is why I am asking the questions.

5. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

This is just wild speculation on my part:

According to this website:

https://www.qsotoday.com/podcasts/k1zz

He got his first license in 1962 at the age of 13. After careful analysis of this data, I came to the conclusion that he was born in approximately 1949. After further analysis, I concluded that he was approximately 67 years old at the time of his resignation. According to other normally credible sources, he had worked for the ARRL for over 40 years.

Once again, this is just speculation on my part, but my hunch is that he decided to retire, at about the same age most people decide to retire.

N1EN and N3AWS like this.
  6. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, hopefully someone with knowledge will chime in.

7. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey retired. Simple as that. Age 67 is a pretty common retirement age.

8. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

What law suits are you talking about?

9. N4QX

N4QX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The only thing that I intended to say in my last post is that a screed of any length about ARRL technology policy directed at me is misdirected.

I legit had a night of my life wasted documenting the ways in which Mr. Gregory's raffle idea could not confirm with Connecticut charitable gaming law without violating postal regulations. No reputable organization of national stature does what he's proposing. There are sound reasons for that.

Now I need to take my own advice and not feed him . . .

10. W5INC

Are there any postal regulations that stipulate that a member of a club can't send a donation to that perfectly legal entity thru the USPS to begin with?

I will give you credit there N4QX for at least having the testosterone to engage in an open and honest discussion about this subject. Not having other's carry your water for you is refreshing. Even though we have differences of POVs on subjects. Far better then being 1 of those entities that stand behind their curtain, having their minions carry their water for them. While exporting the notion that they believe in free, open dialogue about the Club's health/business, while engaging in stifling member elected officials and using subterfuge of free speech,to keep from bringing the sunlight into the room.

My comments are directed at all ARRL members including myself, for letting the Club lapse as it has over the years. Because of stale non innovative thinking, no actual community involvement at any level and letting the club degrade as it has. Again we need people such as yourself there N4QX to engage in free and open dialogues, that doesn't have personal petty vendettas attached to them, so the club remains relevant and prosperous for the next 100 years.