ad: AbAuRe-1

New ARRL directors

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N3AWS, Nov 21, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

How do League members feel about the new Directors recently elected in the New England and Roanoke Divisions? There has been a lot of participation in various threads here about the perceived need to change some of the leadership, so what do you think? Is this a step in the right direction?

Why or why not?

1 person likes this.
  2. N5PZJ

N5PZJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not in my area, Vox Populi.

3. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I interviewed all three. My choice did not prevail.

In the New England Division, incumbent Fred Hopengarten, K1VR, received 1,054 votes, past Director Tom Frenaye, K1KI, received 1,026 votes, and challenger Fred Kemmerer, AB1OC, received 1,147 votes. Mr. Kemmerer was declared the winner.

KA4DPO, K1LKP, W7UUU and 1 other person like this.
  4. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

In the Roanoke Division the current director will soon be a previous director, barely garnering half the votes of either of the other two in the race. And a previous director will soon be the current director. Apparently a majority of the voters liked things better the way it used to be.

N3AWS and (deleted member) like this.
  5. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

I noticed that. By the way, I do have a preference for physicians as Directos…

KA4DPO, K8BZ and (deleted member) like this.
  6. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Musical chairs

K0UO and (deleted member) like this.
  7. W5INC

W5INC Ham Member QRZ Page

The ARRL does read these threads every once in a while. Noticed by W1AW's Flag now being raised during WW contests and for some ARRL sponsored events. I still believe a Field Day raffle($) for current ARRL members to OP W1AW during this most important ARRL Day of the Year, would be a very good thing.

Time to get today's 21st Century technology in use, to lasso up ARRL members, getting their input on how the Club needs to proceed. Using Zoom, plus other live streaming media software that is widely available today for most ARRL members. These platforms can be used to have bi-monthly virtual meetings conducted by Division Directors, open to all ARRL members who wish to participate. This same approach can be taken when the ARRL's BODs meettings and can be broadcast live via the WWW. Have a question and answer session during these sessions so individual ARRL members can get their questions answered. Killing 2 birds with 1 stone?

PROGRESSIVE….. with knowledge abreast of science, a well built and efficient station, and operation beyond reproach.

There is nothing wrong with change, but with out positive input from the ARRL's herd to it's fearless leaders, how can real positive change be enacted? Always a lot of b*tching about the ARRL in these threads, but very few positive options/plans that will actually improve how the club operates daily, are ever included in said postings.

KE0GXN, N3AWS and K8BZ like this.
  8. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It would be great to have periodic, regularly scheduled virtual meeting with directors. In my opinion the ability to question a director should be restricted to ARRL members of that division, but viewing should be available to all.

But as far as the BOD meetings, I don't know if it would be practical to set aside time for input or questions from the membership. I'm all for viewing on line, but it might be too chaotic to try to field questions from viewers during those meetings. Callers would have to be pre-screened some how, which can lead to questioners being selected based on the screeners preferred agenda.

It just seems to me that it would work better if members communicated with their own directors in director only sessions, and then judged how well their views were being represented by their director by viewing the BOD meetings.

KE0GXN, N5PZJ, N3AWS and 1 other person like this.
  9. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Better still, the League could open a dialog between its members and those who actually manage the programs and policies - the president, VPs, CFO, etc. the big question is whether they are interested in our opinions or input.

10. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Their email addresses and phone numbers are published in QST. I can't think of anyone being *more* accessible to one's concerns.