New amplifier setup

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KB6E, Jan 18, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. KB6E

KB6E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a very basic question, but then so are most of my questions...

I thought hard whether I should get an amplifier... I like the challenge of making contacts with 100 Watts and a wire, but I got tired of not getting heard. Just this night I talked to a station in Montana and one in Tennessee and I received 59 and 57, while they received only 33 and 44. My antenna could be better, but given the HOA conditions, there are no more improvements to be made. I am pushing the limits, in fact I went beyond the limits of what's allowed.

Anyway, I ordered an AL-80B, which I will connect to an IC-7300 (and an Ameritron ATR-20). My basic question is this: what cable do I need from the IC-7300 to the AL-80B? The IC-7300 manual says "Connect with an RCA plug [ALC] jack connects to the ALC output jack of a non-Icom linear amplifier.[SEND] jack is used to control an external non-Icom linear amplifier".

What does that mean? Two cables, one from the ALC jack and one from SEND? Also, what kind of RCA cable(s) do I need? Thank you.

2. KC9VFO

KC9VFO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like this.

Attached Files:

3. KB6E

So it's one of those RCA cables for audio setups, nothing specifically for ham?

4. KC9VFO

Sounds like it. I dont own a 7300, but from your description should be straight forward using those RCA cables.

5. KC9VFO

6. KC9VFO

As long as 9 and 10 are RCA ,you would be good to go.

7. KB6E

They are both RCA, just not sure if I need to connect both of them to the AL-80B.

8. KC9VFO

Well, I personally don't use ALC, but that is up to you, gives you protection from over driving the amp. But the send trips the relay for the amp.

You also want to set your delay which is in the menu per manual.

9. KB6E

What does that mean? That's a serious question :)

I think I have to use RCA, since the manual specifies it for "non-Icom amplifiers".

10. KC9VFO

The cable sends a signal to the amp to trip the relay inside the amp.which allows it to go in transmit.

Yes, RCA cables is what you want to use.