New 7100 can’t get Tuner/Call for Tarheel/Targetuner

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by K4TEH, Jul 4, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
  1. K4TEH

K4TEH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

New IC-7100 install using my allready set up (for Kenwood TS-480) connected to installed and previously working TargetTuner. Yes, I’ve set up the TargetTuner as per for CI-V 88H, 9,600 baud, “Icom CI-V” and the 1/4 stereo/mono control plugged in properly to the remote plug on the radio (yes I know all that was different with the TS-480 using an RS232 device and cable).

I cannot get Auto SWR on the Targetuner to operate in Auto SWR mode, which worked great with the TS-480.

I think I've narrowed it down: Targetuner is all set up. I can't seem to find the setting to activate the 7100 "Tuner/Call" button to put the radio into tuning mode in CW at 10W.

I’ve wasted two hours of my life on this site and google and CANNOT find an answer. I also have the advanced 7100 manual and cannot find a setting to activate the Tuner/Call button into tune. Pressing it does nothing. Help…

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
  2. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you will need something plugged into the tuner jack on the back. That gets the "Tune" signal. There is a "Fooler" plug to put the radio in tune mode (Plugs into the Tuner socket). You can find them on Ebay.

Ed

3. K4TEH

Thanks. I’ve dug in more and saw some issues with using a molex “fooler” for the newer than the 706 radios like the 7100, in that it can be problematic and cause the fan to stop working etc.
    it was on Alan’s website about mobile installs http://www.k0bg.com/controllers.html
    I’m now wondering if the Targetuner is incapable of automatic SWR for hands free driving… it worked flawlessly with the TS-480SAT because I could program the PF button to place it into CW 5W tuning mode and the Targetuner would move automatically until it was tuned.
    I’ve sent an email to West Mountain, they probably won’t be back until Tuesday for the 4th weekend.

I’m guessing I’ll have to figure a way to just turn the radio down to 5-10W and place into CW mode and maybe use PTT but not sure if that will work without a key…

last, I see the Tunematic can be ordered specific to Icom and has a molex plug for the tuner feature.

4. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, the Tunematic is plug and play. Re read Alan's article about the tune foolers. I think it was a modification between the 706 & the 7000/7100.

Ed

5. K4PP

K4PP Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a targettuner in my truck with my IC-7000/Scorpion antenna. I built the tuning interface described by AD5X and there is no issue with the fan (However, I do run a separate fan mounted behind the rig occassionally). This is basically just the same circuit used in the AH-4 antenna tuner I believe. I just added a switch to the control unit of the target tuner to set the rig into 10W carrier.
    http://www.ad5x.com/images/Articles/TuningIntfc706.pdf

https://www.flickr.com/photos/me_n_my_xv/48106089443/in/album-72157666836645200/

K4pp

6. K4TEH

Thanks all. I was at HRO today and picked up a TuneMatic Icom version and installing tomorrow, will report here how it works out.

7. K4TEH

Okay, here’s my solution:
    First off the Targetuner worked awesome on the Kenwood TS-480SAT because tou can put the radio into Tune mode by programming the PF key to activate tuning on 5W CW. Targetuner would move the antenna to its location and hunt for optimum SWR. You have to watch the SWR meter on the radio then turn the PF tune off when it finds it. You do have to set the Targetuner to the slowest Auto-SWR speed because I found it will overshoot, but I think that’s antenna specific (mine is a Little Tarheel II).
    Second the Targetuner doesn’t have the ability to interface with the newer Icom 7100 that will NOT allow the radio to go into tune mode without a tuner connected. Workarounds I’ve seen is to use a “fooler” molex 4 pin plug but that too is problematic and risky so I won’t try it.
    I talked to Tunematic’s JT and he sold me on his solution and I bought it on the spot at HRO. For my Icom 7100 once set up it is awesome, as it has an Icom specific module that plugs into the 7100’s tuning port and the Tunematic does the rest when you hit the tune button on the Tunematics remote.

8. K4PP

K4PP Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a good solution for the Ic-7100. However, the "fooler" molex is not really problematic for the IC-7000 (or 706) with a fitting circuit. There is much helpful information on the 7000 user group about the need to keep power off pin 1 "key circuit" so the fan reference voltage is not affected, and reasons not to apply more than 5 volts to pin 2 because of the 7000 internal 5v bus on the start circuit.

I started looking through the IC-7100 service manual and tracing the circuit to see differences from the 7000 but haven't finished. It is different than the 7000 though.

K4PP