ad: QuirkyQRP-1

new 630 meter band

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by W5KUB, Sep 24, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W5KUB

W5KUB Ham Member QRZ Page

Join us Tues at 8 PM central time on W5KUB.COM. This week the new 630 meter ham band plus Katie visiting a ham club in Scotland. There is a big time difference between Scotland and us so we are still trying to work out how we bring this segment to you. Send us your shack pics for the show. We invite you to join our facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/w5kub/

2. N1ART

N1ART Guest

I would love to but where does one obtain equipment for this band?

3. KR6AUL

KR6AUL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

KK5JY likes this.
  4. VE1DAS

VE1DAS Ham Member QRZ Page

FYI, on the topic of 630m, even though some Canadian stations have been operating on the 630m band since it's allocation, the band has never been officially authorized for use. According to the ARRL "Amateur Radio operators in Canada gained access to the 472-479 kHz band on May 1." 2014. Radio Amateurs of Canada has also reported the same. Canada's regulator had also announced that the band had been assigned for Amateur use and listed it in their table of frequency allocations. Since that time a number of Canadian Hams have been using the band and several DX milestones have been reported on via various ham sites. I decided to build an antenna and begin some testing. Then I noticed that the other long-wave band assigned (137Khz) was listed in the Canadian list of Amateur band assignments BUT NOT 472-479 Khz. I though this was a little odd, so I contacted the Amateur Service Center and received a letter stating among other things, "Although this allocation has been made, these frequencies have not yet been included in the list of radio frequencies provided in the document RBR-4; Standards for the Operation of Radio Stations in the Amateur Radio Service. Consequently; there is at present, no authority for the use of these frequencies by Canadian Amateur Radio Stations. Canadian Amateur Radio Stations currently using this band are operating without authority, and this matter is being addressed by the Department. That was in May, 2017 and the frequency is still not listed. I'm guessing for those still operating on the band, that it may be a case of "It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask for permission" hi hi.

73 de VE1DAS

Daryl

5. N5CEY

N5CEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Most hf transcievers will receive on the 472khz band. I put my Ft-450 on wspr there last night as a receive only station and was pleasently surprized.
    I was using my dxcc fan dipole - worked fairly well.

6. N1ART

N1ART Guest

So has anyone heard any dx stations on that new band?

7. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Would a rig with the MARS/CAP mod be able to tx on these bands?

I almost done with my 30 day waiting period since I registered per FCC requirement. Haven't heard a peep yet, and I'm not within the no-go distance of a broadband over powerline 'line' (I checked), so should be good to go.

8. N5CEY

N5CEY Ham Member QRZ Page

2nd posting on this thread gave this link: http://www.472khz.org/pages/about-472-khz/getting-started.php
    if you have one of those radios you can mod it to work down there.

KK5JY likes this.
  9. NO3M

NO3M XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, not just heard but worked ZF1EJ and KH6/K9FD from WPA.

73 Eric NO3M

10. N1ART

N1ART Guest

How many watts were you running?

11. NO3M

5W EIRP

AF7XT likes this.
  12. N6QIC

N6QIC Ham Member QRZ Page

You will need to upgrade your license first to talk on the 630 meter band.

AF7XT likes this.
  13. QRZFAN2

QRZFAN2 QRZ Member

14. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

I figure it as maybe 1.1 ohm RL for my wire in the tree, realistically I'd be lucky to get it up past .8 ohm . That's with significant "hat" in the form of three wires near 40ft long.
    If I'm reading this right I'm somewhere north of 1400w in for 5w EIRP out ...

W7UUU likes this.
  15. NO3M

Depends, you didn't mention several other factors that are important to figuring out the EIRP. The formula is:

P(EIRP) = P(TPO) * n * G(a), where:

P(TPO) is transmitter power output in watts
    n is efficiency, generally calculated as R(rad) / R(feed). R(rad) is the modeled radiation resistance. R(feed) is the actual measured resistance.
    G(a) is antenna gain factor, which is calculated as 10 ^ (G(dBi) / 10). G(dBi) is peak modeled gain. For a top loaded vertical, typically 2.2 - 3 dBi.

Unless you have terrible ground loss or using a very lossy, low Q loading inductor, I doubt you need anywhere near 1.4kW TPO to reach 5W EIRP.