ad: portazero-1

New 30 Meter beacon

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0ERE, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W0ERE

W0ERE Ham Member QRZ Page

Very good Mel,
    I am interested and very curious.
    Have you worked any QRP staions in the USA.

I am an experimenter
    Purely from a monitoring position, The advantage for a DX station would be a higher possibility of identifying a QRP DX station over a given period of time, instead of a time sensiltve shorter "CQ", in other words an oppertunity to seek out the signal because of constant repetitive transmission. Just a thought.
    Thank you for your valued comments.
    Happy New Year and 73,
    Al W0ERE

2. W0ERE

W0ERE Ham Member QRZ Page

Martin,

Thank you for your comments on 30 meters.

Basically the reason for the beacon is stated in my bio. on QRZ. It has been updated

If I cause any ill feeling to a fellow ham then I will by all means resolve a mutual understanding and do what it takes to be respectful and cordial.
    I have learned so much about 30 meter characteristics since the beacon has been operational. Hope to communicated with you on 30 some day. You have a very nice station. I am impressed. Congradulations.

Al
    W0EREl

3. N3TL

N3TL Ham Member QRZ Page

Howabout some WSPR QSOs?

I have to say that I don't understand why so many ops are using the stand-alone WSPR client - which does nothing more than enable a beacon - and I haven't been able to get more than a couple folks interested in the WSPR QSO mode included in the WSJT7 suite of software.

I've made a couple of WSPR QSOs on 30 meters, and also a couple using JT65A - and many more using a variety of other digital modes.

To the poster who asked about QRP capabilities on 30 - my WSPR signal has been copied and posted to the spots page by stations from western Europe to Japan. I was using a Yaesu FT-817ND and an end-fed longwire. There is great QRP potential on 30 meters.

Also, check out www.30mdg.net for information on the 30 Meter Digital Group. It's free, and I'm enjoying it very much.

73 to all,

Tim - N3TL
    Athens, Georgia - EM84ha
    30MDG Member No. 3028

4. XE1GXG

XE1GXG Ham Member QRZ Page

Will listen for your beacon! 72 de XE1GXG/QRP

di dah dit

5. W9VNE

W9VNE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

30 meters

Thirty meters opened for the American hams in October 1982. I recall that first evening. It sounded like Field Day. I have worked about 240 DXCC entities since then using 100 watts and a dipole or vertical.

I have usd WSPR mode sending a beacon on 30 meters. About two weeks ago I was able to receive immediate feedback on WSPR via the Internet. I was heard in about 40 countries in a 24 hour period on 30 meters. I was using 5 watts of power and a dipole up 40 feet.The WSPR mode gave me almost around the clock reports from Europe. It was about 23 hours out of 24 for Europe. Hams on every continent have given me reports on my 5 watt WSPR beacon.

You can check the block and immediately feed your receptions on WSPR to the Internet. Many people do that and you have instant reports within 2 minutes. We have compared our signal to other locals and our respective antennas too. You can change antennnas quickly and see what happens. Immediate reports will let you know if your vertical is better than your horizontal. WSPR is a very useful tool for antenna comparisons.

I am saddened to read so much carping here. :mad: I have been a ham for 57 years and it is certainly different times. Why not attempt to learn from each other ?:D

I applaud the new CW beacon. I encourage the owner to try WSPR and he will find that he can get almost immediate feedback to whatever changes he makes. Yes, we can still all learn if we choose to do so. :)

Jim W9VNE
    Grid loc. EM 79tb

6. W8MDE

W8MDE Ham Member QRZ Page

30 Meter QRP Beacon

Hi Al. I received your card confirming my reception of your beacon signal- thank you. This is my first card from a beacon station. I have spent some time logging the low band beacons but I must admit that when I first copied your signals I thought "Thats wierd- what is it?". Then it dawned on me so I quick logged the info.

I do use 30 meters and enjoy the digital modes but I think its pretty neat to have copied your cw beacon without the laptop and software. Great job too at 3 watts.

73 and keep up your good work!
    Mike KD8JHJ

7. G3ZOD

G3ZOD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For myself, I leave WSPR running when I am in the shack but doing other things.

K1JT's take on the lack of interest in the "QSO mode" is that it's due the 2 minute cycles required. For myself, while having nothing against WSPR/QSO or the WSJT modes, if I'm on the air for QSOs, I enjoy CW best.

73 de Graham G3ZOD FISTS #8385
    http://www.fists.co.uk

8. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  9. K3YBN

K3YBN Ham Member QRZ Page

10MHZ band CW Only -- NOT!

10 MHZ is not as some have said "CW ONLY" ! Read the rules!

Jim WA3MEJ

10. AA1CX

AA1CX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.