ad: wmr-1

New 2-Meter Simplex Club

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by WF5TX, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WF5TX

WF5TX Ham Member QRZ Page

We've got a new name (Simplex Preservation Society) and new web address (73SPS.com…but the old one… 73SE.com… will still get you there), plus a new blog and forum. The forum includes "local" discussion areas for 100+ cities. We're working on a national "continuous simplex event and tossing around the idea of a National Simplex Week whereby folks try to use "direct" communications only during that period. It's all in the formative stages. Drop by and check it out! TNX

WF5TX

2. KI4ZJI

KI4ZJI Ham Member QRZ Page

Great idea...

I know there is not an EMCOMM focus to this, but the fact is that repeaters will fail when an emergency strikes. Sadly, we have a lot of EMCOMM people who do not have the faintest idea of how to operate on simplex.

When we started our club a few months ago, we decided to shy away from a repeater. Since then, I've discovered a local simplex frequency that is more active than any of the local repeaters!

I'm in, and I will be passing this on to our local club (CCARS)

3. WF5TX

WF5TX Ham Member QRZ Page

KI4ZJI.... Thanks!

I'm hoping all club members viewing this topic will encourage their clubs to conduct a regular simplex net in addition to any repeater nets they may be running. It's possible that the first few simplex sessions will reveal important "weak" spots (stations) that would never have been discovered on the repeater net. The "fixes" for those "weak" stations might be as simple as raising an antenna another 10 feet, using a better antenna, upgrading the transmission line, etc.

WF5TX

4. KD8DVR

KD8DVR Ham Member QRZ Page

I joined...

I believe support for *FM Simplex* is needed! FM is overlooked. During a good band opening, FM is effective for hundreds of miles. I joined today.

5. N0XE

N0XE Ham Member QRZ Page

Good idea

This is a good idea if the activity will hold, I am all for it, also hopefully it may even stir up some interest in more vintage AM activity as well as FM and even bring more activity to weak signal work like CW, SSB which has dropped off a lot in the last several years. We need to use the bands and although repeaters, remote base operations and even the flood of internet radio options have their place, it is important to be able to understand the roots and basics of Vhf and Uhf operations as well. I also think hams will enjoy the challenge of long distance communications on these frequencies and get them motivated to improve their stations and make 2 meter FM exciting again just like 2 meter and 6 meter AM was back in the 50's and 60's.
    I have not been on two meters in years, but I will probably join this.
    73 Jim N0XE

6. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Good idea

This is a CAPITAL idea. Any backup for a repeater is a good idea. As I said in the OPUS, the word REPEATER comes from two roots:

PETER....to fizzle out....to die,

RE.....to do it again.

:)

eric

7. N0FPE

N0FPE Ham Member QRZ Page

petered out

This whole thing has died. The website is gone.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.