ad: tbdxc-1

Never got my LOTW postcard?

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by AK4BM, Nov 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AK4BM

AK4BM Ham Member QRZ Page

I signed up for LOTW, but never received a post card.....what do I need to do?

Thank You!

2. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you just need to ask them to send you a new one. And IIRC, they will send it to the address in the FCC database, not to any address you give them.

3. AK4BM

AK4BM Ham Member QRZ Page

My database address is correct....not sure what the problem is.

I'll try to request a new one.

Thanks!

4. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

I managed to get the postcard but their LOTW software would not accept the password that was on the postcard. I finally gave up! :rolleyes: :eek:

5. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

It's been a while, but I don't think "their software" uses that password. The password on the postcard is used only once, on a website where you basically confirm that you got the postcard.

A different password is used to log in to the LOTW web site, and yet a different password (one you set yourself) is used to "sign" logs. That last password is the only one that goes into "their software" on your computer.

6. KE3FG

KE3FG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't blame people for getting frustrated!

I am glad for LOTW and eQSL, but can you blame people for giving up in frustration when faced with such obstacles when they are simply trying to find a reliable way of getting confirmation of their QSOs? QSLs only mean anything to the person who had the QSO, so why does ARRL make such a BFD out of security?

7. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

It has been a year or two ago so I don't remember precisely the steps I took. I followed the steps given on the postcard and seem to remember getting a new file to load but it was not accepted by the LOTW software.

8. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

You definitely have a point. I don't want to scare people away, because it's really not too difficult. But they did make it more complex than it really has to be. And the instructions make it sound even worse than it really is! I think they tried to write a set of instructions that would cover every single contingency that might ever come up, and they wound up making it too difficult. Even the "simple" set of instructions will scare people away, complete with a flowchart.

What they really need is a "easy start" set of instructions. I think they could boil it down to about ten steps to get people started:

1. Go to website X and download Y
    2. Send an e-mail to address Z
    3. Wait for postcard
    4. Got to website A and enter password from postcard
    ...etc.

Maybe I missed it, but I don't think they have that.

9. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

As any good ham knows, anyone who relies on "instructions" doesn't know what they are doing!! Anytime I get a new rig, it's *ONLY* after severe frustration that I actually drag out the book and read it!!

The same is true for LoTW. Except, you'll save yourself a LOT of aggravation if you simply follow the instructions from the very beginning and do *EXACTLY* as they say. If you do that, it's very easy . . . so easy a caveman can do it! :D

There are two or three different passwords that one uses over the course of setting it up and then accessing the website, but the directions are pretty clear which one to use when. You just have to take the time to read them and follow them EXACTLY. I'm guessing that the password on the postcard is the one to access the web site for the account, cuz mine is one I would never have made up myself so I'm guessing it was the postcard one.

However, the password I used to upload from my electronic log is another one, NOT the one from the postcard. Using a logging program to manage all this is *much* easier than manually doing it.

.............Bob

10. K3ROJ

K3ROJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Log of the World is difficult

I have tried evrything and still unable to get my new nGENLOG software to transfer my stations worked to the ARRL Log of the World. It sort of reminds me of trying to get something done using our Government programs. Heaven forbid any type of Government controlled health care.
    Wouldn't it be great if QRZ would come up with their own QSL country and state awards? What I like most about logging is using QRZ's instant lookup as soon as a station is entered in my nGENLOG program and paying the annual fee is well worth it. At last count, I have well over 4,000 QSL cards but no awards on my wall.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.