ad: cq2k-1

Never again!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M0NTY, Sep 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. AC7UX

AC7UX Ham Member QRZ Page

Is church over now? What a bunch of sniveling women.

2. KC8TCQ

KC8TCQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I also want to apologize for having missunderstood your original post, of course it is perfectly legal to listen anywhere your reciever will turn to.

Don't let the incedent turn you away.

73 de Keith

3. n0ass

n0ass Guest

Monty, you say "This time you're prepared". Well, I hope you're better prepared than you were when the Germans rolled up on your door step. We had to bail you out of that one...twice. ZING!!!

4. n0ass

n0ass Guest

Hey Mike, Cool Tiger!

5. KG4RYT

KG4RYT Ham Member QRZ Page

WHO CARES WHAT THE NUT CASES THINK, JUST ENJOY THE HOBBY AND ENJOY THIS SITE [​IMG]
    REMEMBER IT IS OKAY TO BE A NUT AS LONG AS YOU ARE SCREWED ON THE RIGHT BOLT. [​IMG]

6. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (W6EW @ Sep. 28 2002,08:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi Chris,

You may at least take pleasure in the fact that your experience illustrates one of the wonderful aspects of ham radio that the internet can never duplicate nor supercede.  In the face-to-face QSO mode, (as opposed to "mailbox" data modes) the hams involved are all using the same frequency at the same time.  

Because of the ease with which this incredibly beautiful shared natural resource can be spoiled for all by a few dedicated, antisocial jammers, or by anyone who succumbs to the provocation to engage in a fight on the air, hams have evolved an elaborately courteous and respectful manner of communicating with one another; one that rivals the rituals in which knights engaged in order to avoid what might have been fatal provocations.

Hams have grown quite used to this level of courtesy, whereas it has become rather more rare in other aspects of everyday life and has become quite inverted in some subcultures, where insults have become normal and courtesy is considered a weakness.

Interestingly, the internet routinely provides both the concealment and camouflage that encourages cowards to pick fights with little concern for the consequences.  As another responder has noted, the internet has a positive attraction for people, like the norse troll Loki and his ilk, who prefer to ambush the unwary traveler from their places of concealment in the darkness and ooze under bridges.

This feature of the internet medium has caused me to leave several purported "discussion" groups which, it turned out, were merely troll minefields (to mix metaphors and centuries).

Fortunately, ham venues on the net still attract a large proportion of people who are still in the "polite and considerate" mode, but of course there are a few who are little balls of spite looking for a fight.  So few there are, though, that as couple of times when I have been flamed on the internet by  "hams" I found it so uncharacteristic that I took the trouble to look them up in the call book and telephone them personally.  I hoped that at least it might cause them to reflect that they were not so much concealed as they had thought, but indeed in every case it turned out that the calls used had been "appropriated" from actual hams.  One fellow, whose call suffix was ABC, said that it happened to him often, ostensibly because impersonaters were such dullards that they could not think of a more original sequence of three letters.

So, Chris, when I run into nasty, provocative people on the internet who  obviously want to pick a fight, it makes me feel all that much better about the ham community, where the spirit of courteous cooperation is still alive and well.

Doc,  W6EW[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    All I can say is "HI HI" and what a great response. I can only hope that someday I can put into words what you have already done.

KQ6MR

7. GJ7JHF

GJ7JHF Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't worry about the trolls, just ignore them. I think you should try and promote use of 28.555, I'd find that quite amusing, ha ha

8. N9KPN

N9KPN Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (GJ7JHF @ Oct. 03 2002,06:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Don't worry about the trolls, just ignore them. I think you should try and promote use of 28.555, I'd find that quite amusing, ha ha[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    There is only one problem with your 28.555 MHz frequency; Novice and Techs with Code cannot use it.  Should we not be "all inclusive"?

9. N9XR

N9XR Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (m0nty @ Sep. 25 2002,11:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well, i've been licensed for a few years and registered on QRZ for about the same. I often browse in and read the topics that catch my eye and for a while have thought about posting a topic of my own. The other weekend I was killing time at the PC and thought I would share my thoughts on the idea of an international calling frequency for ten metres with my fellow hams. You see, I wanted the opinions of others. I knew that my idea had flaws, the fact that when the band was in good condition a calling frequency would be nothing short of unorganised chaos, all the same though in times when propagation was poor it could prove to be useful.

I posted the topic and when it appeared I tracked it to keep up on others opinions.

Nothing could have prepared me for what was about to happen. I can honestly say that the vast majority of replies etc were encouraging, at the very least civilised.
    Of course not everyone is going to agree, that is the beauty of our wonderful hobby, its diversity and the passion it creates. What I wasn't ready for was the name calling, and the nasty snide remarks. Some of you may have read them, some of them are almost amusing. The worst ones were done 'off group' by faceless morons with a high opinion of themselves via email or IM. At least the one's/one who were brave enough to post self ridiculing comments on the forum had the balls to do it publicly!

I will stop there because I am at risk of sounding like of the people I am criticising.

My only mistake was to mention the fact that I sometimes use 27.555 as a LISTENING reference as to the condition of ten metres. I do not call there, I dont want to and even if I did I cant, the European FT920 wont operate out of band, only RX.

But that was enough to prompt the radio police to offload both barrels in my direction. The next time I have any thoughts I wish to share I will save them for club nights, that will make a couple of people happy I dare say? I thought posting a topic on QRZ would generate a debate, not a radio correctness campaign, never mind eh?

To all those hams who thought my idea was a good one, thankyou. To all those hams that thought my idea was a poor one, that's ok. That's all I wanted, the opinions of others. Whether or not those opinions suit me is not important. Luckily we live in a world where free speech is taken for granted, not every one does. However, that does not make it right to use that situation to barrack and abuse someone for thinking out aloud. Free speech and free-for-all a separate things. Im not an over sensitive person, to be honest I couldn't care less for the opinions of killjoy loners with only their shadows for company.

That's me done now but for all the small time radio police out there who do more harm than good, no matter how good your intentions are, some advice. Sit on it instead of talking through it. That way you will find that the gauze on your mic will stay cleaner for longer.

Coming soon to a PC near you, Abuse II, this time its personal, im prepared..................

73's world, Chris/MØNTY[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Your idea of using 27.555MHz as a gage for determining the life of 10M is excellent. I have used it for years as it is more informative than is looking for the beacons on the band.

As for the people who are freaked out at using the non-ham bands as a listening tool, I have read nothing in the rules and regs about banning this practice. I have not seen anything in the national constitutions banning this practice.

I have recieved many problems from others when I stated on this forum about the soured feeling I got for having the call with the W Bush 5 Laden phonetics. Even though I changed my call sign, I saw no one who supported that idea, but most people were civil about their remarks. I had to laugh off most of the moronic comments I recieved. It is one thing to give your opinion on here, and it is another to be malevolent about it.

So keep on tuning your reciever to 27.555 MHz and don't let anyone get to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.