ad: LZQSLprint-1

Never again!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M0NTY, Sep 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. AG4AC

AG4AC Ham Member QRZ Page

Let me be among the ones to apoligize for misunderstanding your post. I agree that it IS perfectly legal to listen on 27.555 and by not reading closely, I was part of the problem, not the solution. As an amateur operator, I hope you will continue to post in the forums with your thoughts and ideas. I personally disdain folks who do the namecalling and inappropriate language in any posts. These are open forums and there ARE Amateur Operators worldwide whom are minor children. Think of the bad example we set by putting such tripe in our posts. I also disapprove of anyone who personally emails any person just to slam them worse. That is really low class!! Let's all, as Amateurs, strive to be more productive and appropriate inour postings to this and all other forums.

73 to all and my best regards.

Keith

2. K1XRB

K1XRB Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Monty:
        I understand what you were getting at regarding 27.555 MHz.  You were basically monitoring the frequency as a "signpost" or as a sort of "barometer" to give you an indication on band conditions to see if 10 meters would open up as well.  Smart move!  Usually, I do the same thing.  I myself started with CB back in 1969 at the age of 9 and moved up to Amateur Radio several years later.  During that time I learned about "skip" and MUF and band conditions.  
        Eventhough I left CB in 1977 to join the ranks of the ham bands, I still monitor 27 MHz as a barometer before 10 meters opens up.   Naturally, I figure that if 27 MHz opens up, then most times the MUF would move up to the 10 meter band as well.  THEN, I check the 10 meter beacons.  One in particular I like is the W5AB beacon in Texas on 28.280 CW.
        Hang in there and don't let a few "yahoos" spoil your total ham experience.  Please continue writing to QRZ.com.  73!

Peter Q. George (K1XRB)
    Whitman, Massachusetts [​IMG]

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Don't worry about what a few JERKS have to say regarding the CB bands, I would bet that the folks complaining all started out on CB and perhaps are still "Closet CB'ers".  

I have been a Ham for 45 years and still enjoy yakking to some of my neighbors on the CB, I find intelligent folks on both CB and Ham.  As of late though I seem to find more LIDS on the Ham bands HIHI....

73's and enjoy the hobby however you like!!
    Gary - W5GNB

4. N4EU

N4EU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Chris,
    Regarding monitering out of band, I do not know of ANY rule that say's you can not listen in! I often times tune into 154.695 and the local 800MHZ police truking. I am sure that every HAM has been out of band at least a few time's during there "career" as a ham. I wouldnt even think twice about going out of band! You are not causing any damage by just sitting and seeing what is going on out there! So I would just keep on doing it {and I am going to keep on doing it} And talk about those {ham police} one of them saw me transmitting on 148.1... and started to lecture me about how I could got to jail and... He was just about to call the real police when I took out my Civil Air Patrol radio license {I am a member of C.A.P for over 3 year's now, and never in those 3 year's has anyone given me a problem until just recently, and the problem was by a HAM to!} I don't know I quess some people just want to feel "special". HIHI. Well good luck and keep on monitering! 73!
    Alexander KG4OGN 73!

5. KV4DZ

KV4DZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Chris,
    I call them "Bible Thumpers",....Holier than thou Frigbags who have nothing else to do but read posts all day,..(as they don't work),. and most of thier lives depend on input from 20 meters, to be content.

You keep doin what you want to do, and don't quit postin comments on QRZ. I like EM,...

Best Reguards,

KV4DZ

William S. Parnell
    Tabor City, N.C.

6. K3HZ

K3HZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Chris,
    Welcome to what we call in Australia "the tall poppy sydrome". If you even hint that you are doing something (anything) - the masters of antipathy and sloth will seek you out, attempt to rip out your soul and tear you down to their slime ridden gutter crawling level.

As an ARRL-VE residing in Sydney, I mentioned that an ARRL licensing exam 'could' be held here in VK... After a string of abusive and crackpot e-mails, one of these self-appointed WIA para-police even had a dude in the ACA phone me for about half an hour. Net result was nothing..

These people act like like a religious sect - if you question anything, or challenge their inability to learn - you are immediately aligned with the devil, and if you openly support a foreign body like the ARRL, then all your vacuum tubes can burn in hell.

Keep up the spirit and smile, you are not alone...

;-} David VK2CZ, Sydney

7. N0OV

N0OV Guest

I may not agree with your opinion on the 10 meter calling frequency, however, because I disagree gives me NO RIGHT to put you down.

I found your position, informative, well defended, and something to consider when the bands do go down.

As for the others........well its unfortunate a few idiots have to mess it up for the others.

Keep your ideas coming -- thats the stuff that sparks great things to happen.

8. KE0VH

KE0VH Ham Member QRZ Page

I have posted several ideas from time to time on the likes of mobile mounts and the EH antenna that were simply to help other hams and present ideas that might be of service to others and the amount of debasing, smart remarks, and even ridicule thrown in are simply amazing from those who either claim to be experts or simply want to put in a "not so" smart remark. I wish that these lids would sometimes be available for a voice to voice "chat' because I could really tell them what I think of their ATTITUDE. We are here indeed to help each other, present ideas, and to serve others who may need help in such areas as restricted antenna's or the like. But, it is a free country and an open to all board. And, the best deterent to these attitudes are the good attitudes presented by the majority. And ignoring those who represent the bad attitude crowd. There is a book called "200 meters and down" which I recommend as really good reading that helps to present the early spirit of amateur radio. Good stuff and a great example.

73' Jack KE0VH www.geocities.com/ke0vh

9. W9WHE

W9WHE Ham Member QRZ Page

Two thoughts:

1) I'm glad that anonymous posts are prohibited. It forces those with "adjendas" to reveal an identity, which cuts down (but not eliminates) on the number of vitriolic attacks.

2) As my dad repeatedly told me...."just consider the source". When an un-informed, narrow minded, low intellect person makes an undully nasty attack, accord the source "due" consideration. In other words, ignore the mope!

10. W0CBF

W0CBF Ham Member QRZ Page

By stopping the postings you are letting the minority, who have nothing better to do than to slam other hams, win! Do exactly the opposite and post your opinion even more. As one person said use the DELETE key if you have to or simply ignore their post. Have you ever notice the the people that slam others never come up with any good ideas on their on. Their sole purpose in life is to be rude and crude!

73's
    Chuck
    WØCBF

11. KB9YKY

KB9YKY Banned QRZ Page

Maybe "HamTech" should consider "picking up a book", do some learning, and see about getting an amateur radio license. [​IMG]

12. W8HDU

W8HDU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (m0nty @ Sep. 25 2002,11:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">To all those hams who thought my idea was a good one, thankyou. To all those hams that thought my idea was a poor one, that's ok.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Your idea of using 27 mHz as an indicator is good. I do the same thing on HF and on AM Radio to get an idea of which way the DX is coming from.

On HF I use standard broadcast stations. For example, if WWRB in Tennessee is weak here in Ohio, I know that propagation to Tennessee in 80/40 is probably challenging.

When I hear the low power relay of CFRB on 6070 in here good, then I know that 40 meters is good to Toronto. In fact, I worked a fellow using .1 watt in Canada ... my first QRP experience.

Others are right, use the delete key the same way you use the volume or frequency knobs when you hear jokers on 80 meters cursing. Some hams NEVER have any class.

Fred Vobbe, W8HDU</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

13. KS3J

KS3J Ham Member QRZ Page

Chris,

Morons are a fact of life. No good deed goes unpunished, and no good idea ever survives first contact with the Internet. [​IMG]

Let it roll off your back, take the high road, and go forward. It's the worst thing you can do to them. [​IMG]

Scott

14. N8GYM

N8GYM Ham Member QRZ Page

What a great call M0NTY"PYTHON" wonderfull Chris N8GYM

15. N3LEA

N3LEA Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember what my grandfather told me one time.... he said, "Son, opinion's are like a**h***s. Everyone has one and they all stink".
    Seriously.... don't let the holier than though crowd get to you. I actually consider listening to the "pirate" frequency 27.555 a smart thing to do. If a person know's that a particular frequency is heavily used, despite that it's an illegal one, why would they not want to monitor it? I've often used the eleven meter band (and sometime's I also listen to the "freeband" sshhhh don't tell anyone) to get an idea of how the propagation on ten meter's is going. As a matter of fact I've listened to the V.H.F. public safety band during the Summer month's to get some indication on the D.X. for two meter's. Here in Georgia the Georgia State Police use 154.68 mhz throughout the State. When the G.S.P. post call's a car they give their barrack name and then the car number they're trying to reach, i.e. Madison 866 or Milledgville 752. The Madison post is about two hour's West from me and the Milledgville post is about two hour's South of me. If I can hear either one of them I can get an idea of how the propagation is going. There have actually been time's when 155.565 mhz, used by a P.D. about one hundred mile's West of me, drown's out our local Sheriff's department on my scanner. I've also used the 162.xxx mhz NOAA weather radio frequencies for propagation indication's. I seem to get good result's with two meter D.X. when the previous listed condition's exist.
    Keep your mind open and free thinking and I'm sure it will benefit you in Ham radio as well as your daily life. Don't let narrow minded Ham's influence your new idea's or thinking, they're usually the one's that are still upset about the lowered C.W. requirement's.

P.S. If you're offended by my last statement and want to flame me about C.W. requirement's I'll just say this, I hold a General class license (I passed the 13 w.p.m. test with 100%) and I learned C.W. in the military. I went from ZERO w.pm. copy to 18 w.p.m. copy at 95% accuracy or better in nine, yes, nine week's so don't give me crap about being a 5 w.p.m. General or that I can't copy C.W.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.