ad: k1jek

Network Error

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by G0VQY, Oct 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. G0VQY

G0VQY Ham Member QRZ Page

Has anyone encountered this problem before? You have two PCs connected to the same network and you want to be able to access either computer from the other. Normally, you would go down to network and see the PCs that are listed on the network. You will simply click on the PC you wanted to access and a couple of folders would appear, something like public and the computer with your username on it. If everything is working fine then you can easily transfer files from one computer to the other. However, if you are having the same problem as me at the moment then this is what is happening. When I click on a computer name on the network box comes up saying "network error. Windows cannot access\\ (then your computer name)
    I don't think it's got anything to do with settings because I was able to access my computer with no problems at all, now I'm not. I might add that this all started happening when I changed one of the computers around. Having said that, I still don't know why it isn't working because I've had them all on the network working perfectly okay before.
    If anyone has some suggestions then I'm all ears

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Is Sharing enabled ? By default it normally is not.

If you are using Win 10, Your settings may have been changed by update.

Could be a firewall setting also.

Good Luck.

3. G0VQY

G0VQY Ham Member QRZ Page

For some unexplainable reason everything is working fine and both computers can see each other and I can move files between the two PCs.
    The only thing that changed was I moved one of the computers next to my radios and plugged the LAN cable into a network switch which is connected to my main router which in turn is where the other PC is connected via a LAN cable. So whether this has anything to do with the I really couldn't say for sure.

4. KA9JLM

Make sure you are on the correct router port. You should have Uplink and Downlink.

Both computers should be plugged into the same side of the router. Most ports are color coded.

5. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Sometimes it takes a bit of time for 'network discovery' to kick in when you make changes.

6. KA9JLM

> ipconfig /flushdns

> netsh int ip reset

7. KC8RLU

KC8RLU Ham Member QRZ Page

Apparently, Micro$oft has forced a "no install" of SMB/CIFS file sharing protocol in Windows 10, starting with 1709 and later. Why? Because they think it's insecure. That may be true for version 1.0; not sure yet about 2.0 or later. There is a way to enable/install it again in Windows 10.
    1. Open Control Panel.
    2. Click on Programs.
    3. Click on Turn Windows features on or off link.
    4. Expand the SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support option.
    5. Check the SMB 1.0/CIFS Client option.
    6. Click the OK button.
    7. Click the Restart now button. After you restart your computer, you should now see the shared computer in Windows Explorer.